Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is one horror movie to watch out for in 2019. (via @UsMovie on Netflix)

9 horror movies you’ll want to see in 2019

Horror in 2018 had some hits and misses. 2019 has only just started and scary movie fans everywhere already are going to have a busy year of watching. Here are nine anticipated scary movies this year:

Velvet Buzzsaw (Feb. 1)

This movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal is a straight to Netflix release. After a series of mysterious and innocuous paintings are discovered, a supernatural and fatal force enacts revenge on its victims.

The Prodigy (Feb. 8)

Taylor Schilling (Orange is the New Black) stars as Sarah, a mother who is worried about her son Miles’ (Jackson Robert Scott) violent and evil behavior. Sarah must make the decision between protecting and loving her son and acting as a human being who protects herself.

The Turning (Feb. 22)

Directed by Floria Sigismondi, this haunted house horror is about a nanny (Mackenzie Davis), who is hired to take care of two orphans (Finn Wolfhard, Brooklynn Prince), and she becomes suspicious that the mansion is haunted.

Us (March 22)

Directed by Jordan Peele (Get Out), this movie is another thinker. Adelaide Wilson (Lupita Nyong’o), her husband, Gabe (Winston Duke), two children (Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex) and several friends take a relaxing weekend away at their beach house. Horror strikes when unwanted visitors arrive, who are terrifying version of themselves.

Pet Sematary (April 5)

Based on Stephen King’s novel, this 1989 remake follows Louis Creed (Jason Clarke), his wife Rachel (Amy Seimetz) and their two children, who, after moving to rural Maine, they find an unnerving burial ground. After tragedy strikes, a neighbor, Jud Crandall (John Lithgow), warns that sometimes dead is better.

The Curse of La Llorona (April 19)

From producer James Wan comes this terrifying urban legend. In Los Angeles in the ’70s, the ghost La Llorona takes children. It all comes crashing down when a social worker and her kids are lured into her wrath. Their only hope is a priest who is experienced in the evil. The priest (Tony Amendola) also played Father Perez in Annabelle, which some fans are saying is how this film is connected to the Conjuring universe.

Grudge (June 21)

Directed by Nicolas Pesce, this film is another Grudge movie. It stars Andrea Riseborough, Demián Bichir, John Cho, Lin Shaye and Jacki Weaver. The original 2004 film was a remake of the 2002 Japanese film Jun-On: The Grudge.

Annabelle 3 (July 3)

This film in the popular franchise will be a sequel to the 2014 Annabelle, but still a prequel to the entire franchise. The plot is said to revolve around the doll, which is kept in the Warren’s artifact room. Judy, the daughter, and her friends are the new targets of the evil spirit’s wrath.

Midsommar (Aug. 9)

From Hereditary director Ari Aster comes this A24 film. A young couple visiting an isolated Swedish village discover that its residents participate in eclectic traditions.

It: Chapter 2 (Sept. 6)

27 years after Pennywise was defeated, a phone call brings the Losers club back together. A cast featuring James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader, Jay Ryan, Isaiah Mustafa, James Ransone and Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise is sure to impress. Avoid the sewers, though.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu