Dominique Doseck (No.10) drives to the basket during the first half of the Ohio game against Eastern Kentucky on November 18.

Women's Basketball: Dominique Doseck will coach at Valparaiso

Ohio senior forward Dominique Doseck has the biggest basketball IQ on Ohio’s roster and has always wanted to use it as a coach. 

Next season, she’ll have her shot. 

Doseck will join Valparaiso coach Mary Evans’ staff next season as a graduate assistant. Evans was a former assistant under Ohio coach Bob Boldon from 2013-2018. In her first year, she’s led the Crusaders to a 5-14 record.  

While Evans was at Ohio, she helped Boldon and the Bobcats accumulate an 100-57 record and back-to-back Mid-American Conference regular season titles in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. 

Doseck and Evans grew fond of each other during the few years of their player-coach relationship, and it’s a major reason why Evans didn’t hesitate to bring Doseck onto her staff. 

“Getting to know (Doseck) and talk a lot about basketball she’s got a tremendous basketball IQ,” Evans said. “For me, it was kind of a no-brainer.”

Evans has instituted an offense similar to Ohio’s and having a coach who’s succeeded in that system makes this hire even smarter. Doseck knows there will be a lot asked of her and she’s looking forward to getting started. 

“I think it’s a great opportunity,” Doseck said. “Just to be able to go into that program already knowing the offense and defense main concepts in trying to help the girls is a huge advantage.” 

Doseck looks forward to being a coach next season. Evans said her roles will include game planning, running drills, connecting with the players and a multitude of others, except recruiting.

Boldon will enjoy his last season coaching Doseck before she goes to help his former assistant try and win games. He has faith that Doseck will make a fine coach. 

“I think it’s a great hire,” Boldon said. “I think it was a no-brainer for Mary to hire her .

@JL_Kirven

jk810916@ohio.edu