Provided by Ohio University

Tyrone Carr appointed as interim director of LGBT Center

Tyrone Carr was named interim director of Ohio University’s LGBT Center on Wednesday.

Carr has worked at the university since 1991 and has advanced the university’s diversity and inclusion efforts throughout his past 28 years. 

“I am very excited by this opportunity to serve OHIO’s LGBT community in an interim capacity,” said Carr of his recent appointment. “I have dedicated my life’s work to promoting a positive culture that celebrates difference, challenges prejudice and ensures fairness. In this new capacity, and as a longtime ally of the LGBT community, I will continue to advance programming that ensures every member of our community is treated with equality and respect.”

Carr most recently acted in a dual-role at OU as executive director of the Interlink Alliance, reporting directly to President Duane Nellis, and special assistant for Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion Gigi Secuban. 

He has experience with roles in student affairs, enrollment management, human resources and as a student advocate. Carr began his career in higher education as an administrator at Cabrini College in Pennsylvania and has been recognized throughout his career for his ability to build strong partnerships with constituents and stakeholders, according to the news release.

“In selecting an interim director, it was essential that a very deliberative decision be made to appoint someone who can provide a strong support system for students in our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities,” Secuban said in the news release. “Having worked with Ty closely in his role as Special Assistant, I am confident in his leadership talents and his commitment to this very important community.”

The university is planning to have a national search for a new director for the LGBT Center after delfin bautista was put on administrative leave on Jan. 10. Carr will continue providing services to students, faculty and staff who rely on the center until a new director is appointed.

The Division of Student Affairs will also provide support through various services, such as Counseling and Psychological Services, student staffing resources, safe zone training services across campus and assistance with referrals for non-related health related emergencies. In addition, several university faculty have offered to engage with the LGBT community “to provide ancillary services where needed,” according to the release.

“I am very excited by this opportunity to serve OHIO’s LGBT community in an interim capacity,” Carr said in the release. “I have dedicated my life’s work to promoting a positive culture that celebrates difference, challenges prejudice and ensures fairness. In this new capacity, and as a longtime ally of the LGBT community, I will continue to advance programming that ensures every member of our community is treated with equality and respect.”

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu