Texting in Class: Watch 'You' now

If you haven’t yet watched You, then click off of this and come back once you’ve finished the season. I’ve binged watched my fair share of shows on Netflix, but this one by far is the best one yet. For those of you that haven’t seen it yet, here’s what you need to know.

The show starts off with a girl named Beck (Elizabeth Lail), and she walks into a bookstore where Joe (Penn Badgley) is working. They talk for a little bit about books, but the whole time — and throughout the series — You hear joe talking to himself, almost like we are inside his mind. I know, this sounds weird and slightly annoying, but it helps you to see how he thinks about situations.

During the duration of the first episode, we meet a handful of characters that are important to us, including Paco (Luca Padovan). He’s a little boy who lives next to Joe in his apartment complex. His mother has an abusive boyfriend, so he’s usually in the hallway when Joe gets home. They often talk and sometimes eat together. 

We also meet Beck’s boyfriend at the time, as well as Beck’s friend group. She has three friends: Lynn (Nicole Kang), Annika (Kathryn Gallagher) and Peach, played by the well-known Shay Mitchell. 

Beck is an aspiring writer who lives alone in the city, and Joe is a creepy and slightly stalker-ish bookstore manager. Joe stops at nothing to find the information that he wants and somehow finds out literally everything about this girl. Once he acquires her address, he stands outside of her apartment and stalks her through her windows — her huge windows, which she fails to put curtains on even though they’re at street level. Joe can watch anything and everything through here, as we see in the duration of the show. 

He learns her schedule and follows her throughout her day. This continues day in and day out without her even noticing. I don’t know about you, but I think after a while I would start to notice the same guy everywhere that I went. I also think I would see him outside of my apartment and get some sort of curtains or blinds.

Each episode is about 45 minutes long, and trust me, you will be on the edge of your seat the entire time. You think it’s going to make sense, then they throw in a curveball or a new character and you’re left at a loss for words. Right now, there is only one season on Netflix, but a second season has been confirmed — and thank goodness, because I need some questions answered. 

I highly recommend watching this, not just for the pleasure of binge-watching a new show but also to become more aware of your surroundings. You never know if someone could be following you.

Rachel Laher is an undecided freshman studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Rachel? Email her rl218617@ohio.edu.