Logan Maxfield goes up for an acrobatic finish Tuesday in Athens 69-23 victory over Wellston to clinch the TVC-Ohio title.

Athens Basketball: Bulldogs wraps up regular season with two nonconference games

With sole possession of the Tri-Valley Conference-Ohio Championship secured and playoff seeding already decided, the Bulldogs are not playing for much in the last two games of the season. Both games, however, are tough nonconference matchups and will be good preparation for the Ohio High School Athletic Association Tournament.

A trip to Logan to take on the Chieftains (14-3) on Friday night will be Athens’ (16-4, 11-1 TVC-Ohio) first test this weekend before sectionals. 

With a 69-23 victory over Wellston on Tuesday, the Bulldogs clinched the TVC-Ohio championship outright, and seem to be looking ahead to playoff basketball.

“We’re ready to get this week over and get ready for Sectionals,“ said coach Mickey Cozart.

Defensively, the Bulldogs will have to focus in on senior Bo Myers, who is one of the most dominant offensive threats in Southeast Ohio. Logan Maxfield has consistently guarded the opposing team’s best player this season, so it very likely that Myers will have to deal with him all game.

Logan High School will also be the site of Athens’ sectional game versus Logan Elm (11-9, 8-5 Mid-State League) on Feb. 23.

Tip-off on Friday against the Chieftains will be at 7:30 p.m.

The Bulldogs’ final regular season game is Saturday when they take on Jackson (14-7, 6-4 Frontier Athletic Conference) in The Plains.

The matchup against the Ironmen is a makeup game, as it was originally scheduled Feb. 2. 

Jackson has faced and defeated a number of TVC-Ohio teams, going undefeated in five games against the Bulldogs’ conference rivals this season, including Alexander and Vinton County. 

Tip-off for the game Saturday is at 7:30 p.m. in McAfee Gymnasium. 

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports