The Athens County Comissioners meet on Nov. 1 to discuss a new security camera system and load limits on roads.

Athens County Board of County Commissioners discuss heating in floor plans for new EMS station

An architect for BDT Architects and Designers for Athens County Board of County Commissioners said Tuesday that the new building for EMS station will have no heat in the floor. 

Speaking at the county commissioners meeting, Dan Dispenza said that he did not add heat in the floor plan because there are six inches of insulation in the floor. Dispenza said that radiant system will work better for the garage space because the trucks would stay warm instead of the space. 

“In slab, radiant heat is a challenge because it’s a maintenance problem, doesn’t get installed absolutely right,” Dispenza said. “It’s hard to maintain. It’s hard to fix.”

County Commissioner Charlie Adkins said it would be a terrible idea to not add heat in the floors. 

“(Heat’s) got to go up, right around the trucks and right around the sides of it,” Adkins said. “Whereas if you got radiant heat, it’s pushing down, depending on how high the ceiling is. I guess I just don’t understand the theory.”

Dispenza said he will take another look at the floor plans.

“I’m not saying no at all,” Dispenza added. “What I’m saying is that it’s something we have talked about. We’ll certainly go through it again.”

@hardikasingh28

hs152416@ohio.edu