Texting in Class: Figuring it out on your own

The most romantic day of the year just passed by us and we all survived. Being single on Valentine’s Day isn’t the worst because it’s just one day out of the year. For some, being alone isn’t just a relationship thing, it could have to do with being alone all together and we’re not always comfortable with it. As with every adult ever I’m here to say, it’s totally okay to be alone sometimes. 

Sometimes it’s tough being alone and on your own for the first time. For the majority of us we experienced that this year coming into college and not know a single person. Throughout the year some people make friends and have little groups that they get coffee with every so often and for others maybe they have a hard time making friends. It’s not that you don’t like people or don’t want to be friends but maybe you just don’t know how to approach people. And this is completely okay because everyone is different here in their own way. Even though it’s OK, maybe you’re feeling a little lonely and that’s OK too. There are some benefits to having some time to yourself and figuring out who you are. 

At this age we are so used to always being around people because at home you could walk into another room and more than likely your mom, dad or sibling would be there. That’s not the case in college, you could have a roommate or maybe you don’t but if you’re not used to being alone and not having someone there it could be hard. Instead of letting yourself feel lonely in your room, go out and see what the campus has to offer. Fill your time doing other things like going to the library to do your homework instead of staying in your bed or doing it at your desk. You could also go to the gym and focus on bettering yourself, not for anyone else but for yourself. Or you can go outside and go for a walk or set up a hammock and just relax in the sun. Not only is the sun good for you but being outside in nature can really boost your mood and make you happier. At least for me, when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping, I don’t want to be anywhere but outside. 

If you don’t want to leave your room but feel like your trapped in this little box there's a few things you can do to spruce it up. Really think about a decorating style that makes you happy and play off of that. Turn your room into your happy place and really make it your own so it feels homey and personal. Use this time by yourself to really work on you and becoming your own person and being comfortable on your own. Yes, go out and have fun with as many friends as you can but don’t forget about yourself because at the end of the day you come first. 

Rachel Laher is an undecided freshman studying at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Rachel? Email her rl218617@ohio.edu.