Mayor Steve Patterson listens to the City Council discuss ordinances during their meeting on Jan. 16th, 2018.

City Council: Members to discuss historic structures and committee projects

Athens City Council will discuss efforts to preserve the city’s historical markers on Monday during their usual 7 p.m. meeting in the city building.

Protecting historic structures will be discussed by the committee as a whole. 

The City of Athens has its own Historic Preservation Commission. That commission meets on the second Monday of every month to discuss restoration capabilities, inventory of Athens’ historic properties and how to provide guidance to government officials on historic markers. Members of the commission are appointed by the mayor and then approved by City Council.

Historic structures in Athens include the The Beasley Building, 93 W Union St., and Athens B & O Train Depot, located between Depot St. and Union St.

Council as a whole will also discuss the Athens City School District Building Project

The project was proposed by ACSD Superintendent Dr. Tom Gibbs and was approved by the Board of Education on Jan. 17.

Renovations of Athens Middle School and Athens High School will be done, and construction on Athens elementary schools will be done in two phases. 

Two new preschool through third grade buildings will be constructed during phase one. The second phase will include renovations and additions to The Plains Elementary school, which is for fourth through sixth grade students.

Council will then meet in three committees. The Transportation Committee will discuss funding for the Smart Parking Meter project. Smart parking meters would allow for people to see which parking spots in the city are available via a mobile app. The app would also be used for payment on parking meters.

The City and Safety Services Committee will discuss a 2019 Jail Contract with Washington County. 

The Finance and Personnel Committee will be the last to meet, and will say what appropriations and transfers are necessary between city funds.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu