City Council members Patrick Mcgee, Peter Kotses, and President Chris Knisely listen to Mayor Steve Patterson on Jan. 16th, 2018. (FILE)

Athens officials prepare for future federal government shutdowns

Federal programs in Athens are looking to prepare for future disputes within the federal government that may lead to future government shutdowns.

The conversation was first brought up at an Athens City Council meeting in February. Council members Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, and Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, discussed the effects of federal government shutdowns on everyday citizens. Both members said they think it is disapprove what is happening on the federal level.

“They’re playing with people’s livelihoods,” Fahl said. Butler responded to Fahl’s statement and said, “It’s unfortunate and I think it’s appalling.”

Council President Chris Knisely said Athens will do everything it can to aid its residents and federal workers in preparation for the next shutdown. 

The first step of aid will be sending resolutions to U.S. President Donald Trump. “We’re going to flex our legislative and administrative power and be very loud on Capitol Hill,” Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said. 

Patterson is also going to Washington, D.C., in March for a conference. “I’m going to be there in March for a week, and believe me, I’ll be very loud,” Patterson said.

There are several programs and organizations in Athens that are severely affected by the government shutdown. More than 800,000 employees were not paid over this period of time, Patterson said. 

The federal programs aren’t the only things affected, however. Patterson said that there are people who rely other services provided by the government like food pantries.

“There could not be a more critical time to support the Bounty of the Bricks, which supplied 6 million pounds of food for the pantry last year,“ Patterson said. “We have a large part of the population that relies on that program for their next meals.”

Karin Bright, president of the Athens County Food Pantry, said in order to prepare for shutdown-like scenarios, the pantry orders its food four to six weeks in advance. The pantry supplies around 80 bags of food per week to the residents of Athens.

Federally funded programs are also not given any money to provide their services.

“We are hoping things will go back to normal very soon,”  Bright said.

Due to the government shutdown, many workers may not show up for work since they are not receiving any pay. 

“It is really hard to go into work and do this job knowing that I’m not going to see a paycheck until whenever the government decides to reopen,” Nicole Rhoads, a resource assistant and public affairs intern for the Wayne National Forest, said.

When asked about preparations for future federal government shutdowns, Rhoads said the forest is just hoping the government can get along. 

With latest update on another possible shutdown, Patterson said the likelihood of another shutdown has certain programs very concerned. 

The most recent government shutdown was the longest U.S. shutdown in history. It is also the second federal shutdown without pay to employees under Trump’s presidency.

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu