Even though Adam Levine ripped off his shirt, Maroon 5’s halftime performance was a bit lackluster. (Photo via @variety on Twitter) 

Maroon 5 and Travis Scott needed more time during the 2019 Super Bowl halftime show

It’s the most anticipated show of the year: the Super Bowl halftime show. Every year, well-known artists are offered the job to play at the halftime show of the biggest football game of the year, but was this year too subdued for a normal halftime show?

Maroon 5’s headline performance of the show was certainly impressive. The show featured some of its more popular songs such as “Moves Like Jagger,” “Sugar,” and “Girls Like You.”

The preview Maroon 5 posted on Twitter featured a second-long clip of SpongeBob SquarePants, which hinted to fans that a tribute to the creator, Stephen Hillenburg, who died in late 2018 would take place. A mashup of Travis Scott’s “SICKO MODE” and the beginning of the SpongeBob SquarePants performance “Sweet Victory” took place at the start of Scott’s performance, which featured Rodger Bumpass, the voice of Squidward Tentacles, announcing the song. 

Seeing Adam Levine play guitar for Scott was legendary, however Scott definitely needed more stage time. He has so many great songs that just limiting his performance to “SICKO MODE” wasn’t the best decision. At the very least, he deserved more time than Big Boi, who not many people had ever heard of. 

It’s important to note the special effects of the performance were really special, including laser lighting, floating lanterns that spelled out words and even fake asteroids to compliment Scott’s performance. In addition to the special effects, Maroon 5’s background choir and drumline were a really special factor to its performance. 

Maroon 5 and Scott are always great performers who give everything to their shows, but the halftime show was definitely too short, and altogether the performance was very subdued for a halftime show. 

Though it was a good performance, it certainly didn’t live up to the hype it received. Then again, anything with Levine taking his shirt off is bound to be a memorable show. 

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu