Republican Rep. Jay Edwards during a debate against challenging Democrat Taylor Sappington on Oct. 29. (FILE)

Nelsonville Republican Jay Edwards elected majority whip of the Ohio Statehouse

The Ohio Statehouse elected Rep. Jay Edwards, R-Nelsonville, as the majority whip of the 133rd General Assembly last week in an unanimous vote.

Statehouse members from both parties voted for Edwards 98-0 on Feb. 6. He ran unopposed in the election because other members dropped out of the running after they realized he had the majority.

Edwards’ responsibility as majority whip will be to lobby other members of the statehouse to vote for legislation deemed important by the party leaders. It is a partisan position and primarily acts as an assistant majority leader.

“My responsibility as Majority Whip will be to maintain relationships with members of the General Assembly, stay up to date with legislation various members are working on, help members on policy initiatives through the legislative process, and guide members in understand legislation as it’s coming forward for a vote,” Edwards said in an email. 

Edwards is the representative for Ohio’s 94th Statehouse District and is serving his second term after he beat Democratic challenger Taylor Sappington in the 2018 midterm election. This district includes parts of Athens, Meigs, Washington and Vinton counties.

As majority whip, Edwards said he hopes to help southeast Ohioans by supporting policy initiatives so they can have a “bigger seat at the table.”

Edwards will also serve on the Finance Committee, and the subcommittees on Higher Education, Public Utilities and Commerce Labor & Technology. 

@ShillcockGeorge

gs261815@ohio.edu