Athens guard Andre Stephens cuts down a piece of the net after the Bulldogs clinched the TVC Conference title on Friday by defeating Meigs 55-51.

Athens Basketball: Bulldogs gets fourth seed in Division II district tournament

Athens will have a chance to win a sectional championship.

The Bulldogs will be the fourth seed in their Ohio High School Athletic Association Division II district bracket, which was announced Sunday afternoon. 

The full bracket can be viewed here.

Athens (15-4, 10-1 Tri-Valley Conference-Ohio) will play No. 5 seed Logan Elm on Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. at Logan High School. The teams did not play each other this year, but they do have some history.

The Bulldogs have won the past three meetings between the teams.

The seeding of the district was done by the coaches in the district.

Logan Elm (10-9, 7-5) is in the Mid-State League and is fourth in the league with two league games left. The Braves have won three of their past five games. 

The winner will take on either No. 1 seed Zane Trace, or the winner of No. 8 Hillsboro and No. 9 Miami Trace. That game will be played Feb. 28. 

If Athens is able to win its first game at Logan, its next game will be played in The Convo in Athens.  

Vinton County and River Valley are the two other TVC-Ohio teams in the Division II bracket but are on the other side of the bracket. 

Last year, Athens’ season ended in its first game of the tournament with a loss to Vinton County in overtime. 

There are still three games left in the regular season for Athens. Tuesday, the Bulldogs will travel to Wellston for the final conference game.

The regular season ends with back-to-back nonconference games Friday and Saturday against Logan and Jackson, who have a combined 26-10 record. 

@TheEricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu