Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are nominated for Oscars for their roles in ‘A Star Is Born.’ (via @ladygaga on Twitter)

Ranking the Best Picture nominees for the 2019 Oscars from least likely to most likely to win

We are a little more than a week away from the 91st Academy Awards, so it’s time to call up some final predictions for the films nominated. The Post already broke down the two major acting categories — and our full predictions for some of the major categories are on their way soon — so now it’s time to look at those films nominated for Best Picture.

This year’s nominees are interesting. They feel more mainstream and more contemporary than in recent years. Together, the films grossed more than $1.2 billion, which can mostly be attributed to Black Panther. With that in mind, here are the nominees for the closest Best Picture race in recent history ranked from least likely to most likely to win:

8. Bohemian Rhapsody

Any movie with Bryan Singer’s name attached to it won’t even be considered for Best Picture. Final voting opened Tuesday when Singer’s name was still in many headlines across the nation. It’s surprising in more ways than one that the biopic was nominated for the most coveted award, but it would be even more surprising if Bohemian Rhapsody garnered any support from the Academy.

7. Black Panther

It is highly unlikely that the first superhero film to be nominated for Best Picture took home the statue. As much as we want Black Panther to win, it just will not happen.

6. BlacKkKlansman

With a big name like Spike Lee attached to BlacKkKlansman, the Academy will think long and hard about picking the film to win. Lee, who picked up his first nomination for Best Director, led the boycott of black actors during the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. The nomination of BlacKkKlansman might be the Academy trying to make up for past mistakes, like not nominating Malcolm X or Do The Right Thing for Best Picture. 

5. Vice

The Academy loves method actors who transform into major political figures — Vice is no different, as Christian Bale became Dick Cheney. Directed by The Big Short director Adam McKay, there is a lot of things with Vice that exude the Oscars persona.

4. A Star Is Born

Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut should be at the top of this list, but there are forces working against A Star Is Born to prevent it from winning Best Picture. It’s hard to admit a film featuring firsts for many people — Cooper and Lady Gaga, namely — will win. The Academy tends to favor seasoned directors and actors, making it a long shot for A Star Is Born to win. 

3. Green Book

The story of a black pianist and his white driver has, somehow, captured the attention of so many people. Through and through, this is a movie the Academy would vote for. It doesn’t seem there is anything spectacular about Green Book, but surprise wins have happened before and this one doesn’t seem too far-fetched.

2. Roma

The Academy celebrates the best in cinema, and Roma is definitely film made as art. With stunning black-and-white shots and a big-time director in Alfonso Cuarón, Roma is a shoo-in to win Best Picture — which is why it won’t win the award. The film has taken home countless awards, but viewers should keep in mind it’s nominated for Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film. If Roma takes home the Oscar in the foreign language category, you can pretty much count it out for Best Picture. Roma is also the first Netflix Original to be nominated for Best Picture. If Roma wins, that would mean the Academy has fully embraced streaming and non-theatrical releases, which is a far stretch.

1. The Favourite

Picking up seven BAFTA’s is Yorgos Lanthimos’ period drama The Favourite. The film has used the positive publicity the Academy Award nominations has given it to its advantage. The Favourite is art and it’s also entertaining. With three supreme leads, high production value and a script people will be talking about for ages, The Favourite is the film to beat.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu