Cinema and Syntax: ‘Captain Marvel’ is not for women — it’s for girls

When I was growing up, I didn’t admire any particular movie characters. Instead I clung onto a certain genre: romantic comedies. Looking back, subconsciously it might have to do with the overwhelming representation of women. It’s also why I’m a hopeless romantic and put a lot of faith in love. 

I didn’t take to action films well. There was just something about dudes fighting dudes that didn’t appeal to me. But that has all changed in the last few years.

I was a little late to Star Wars, but I still felt something inside me when Rey grabbed the lightsaber in The Force Awakens. I watched in awe as Wonder Woman stepped out of the World War I trenches in her debut film as she became the first female superhero to get her standalone film. Then there’s the new blockbuster Captain Marvel.

Marvel finally made a film featuring a female superhero, and it was everything it needed to be. Of course, it has faced a lot of criticism.

The film has been dubbed a reactionary tale in the light of the #MeToo Movement. With a film of this magnitude, the pre-production phases would have begun several years ago and years before #MeToo or Time’s Up were on people’s mind. Sure, the goal of the movie is to give power to women and it means more in the current social landscape, but that should never be a bad thing. If it were reactionary, at least it is a good response.

People have also said the theme demonstrates a sanitized view of female empowerment. Part of Carol Danvers’ (Brie Larson) origin story involves mean men who push her down instead of holding her up. No matter what, Danvers gets back up. She fights gender norms and embraces her emotions, thus creating a complex character and role model for girls everywhere. There was no previous material to go off in terms of strong, mainstream female protagonists. The film industry can’t go from 0 to 100 and ignore the past. An origin story involving a strong female character who never experienced struggle is not realistic right now, and it would have felt disingenuous if that’s how the film was written.

Then there’s the argument that this film should have happened 10 years ago when the Marvel Cinematic Universe began. People think bringing Captain Marvel into the story this late in the game minimizes its impact. That is not the case at all. Captain Marvel’s role in the upcoming Avengers: Endgame is of the utmost importance. She is the reason everyone will survive. Fury called on her for a reason; he knew she would be able to defeat Thanos. That just shows she is hands down the most valuable player in the MCU. (Sorry, Captain America.)

Every movie has a demographic. Sure, films — especially blockbusters — are supposed to appeal to the masses, but there was an obvious target audience for Captain Marvel when it comes to the theme of empowerment. That demographic doesn't include men, obviously. It’s not even for women 25 or older, though they will surely relate to the film. Captain Marvel is for the girls who will grow up knowing they can be whoever they want to be, no matter what gender they are.

I wish I had grown up with characters like Captain Marvel. Instead of minimizing my life to finding a good man who would support me, I would have realized a lot sooner in life that I can do it on my own. I don’t wallow in that, though. In fact, I’m happy there is change because that means my nieces will grow up in a world where they can do anything they want to.

Georgia Davis is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What did you think of Captain Marvel?  Tell Georgia by tweeting her at @georgiadee35