Green beer sits on the counter at Lucky's during Green Beer Day on March 6.

Green Beer Day starts off slow but picks up as afternoon goes on

Ashley Frankart sat at a booth Wednesday afternoon at Lucky’s Sports Tavern to enjoy her last Green Beer Day with her friends.

“I have been out for an hour so far,” she said. “It’s pretty calm right now, but I think it will get crazier.”

The Green Beer Day tradition began when Ohio University was on a quarter system and St. Patrick’s Day fell during Spring Break, according to a previous Post report.

“We are always home for St. Paddy’s Day, so being able to celebrate (at OU) is nice,” Patrick Crago, a junior studying MIS Finance, said.

George Shea, a senior studying strategic communication, stood in the doorway of The Pub, 39 N. Court St., wearing shamrock-shaped sunglasses and an apron with “Kiss Me I’m Irish” printed on it.

“I’m pretty Irish,” he said. “I’m from Buffalo, and St. Patrick’s Day is pretty big up there.”

Shea said Green Beer Day in Athens is like having two St. Patrick’s Days. The holiday falls on March 17, which is during spring break.

_DSC8478.jpg
Brandon Rhodes, a senior studying management and marketing, raises a glass of green beer at Courtside with his friends.

Ryan Higgins, an undecided freshman, celebrated his first Green Beer Day at Pawpurrs Bar, 37 N. Court St., and watched his friends, all dressed in jerseys of various shades of green, play pool.

“I like (Green Beer Day). There’s not a lot of people,” Higgins said.

While the green attire was common, the green food coloring was a staple to the occasion.

“I can taste the food coloring in the beer, but my goal is to get my whole mouth green,” Higgins said, sticking out his tongue.

While the cold weather may be affecting bargoers, James Rego, a junior studying economics, said it keeps the bars less crowded.

“The cold will keep the freshmen away,” Rego said.

Emma Steer, a senior studying interactive design, wore a shamrock necklace and recalled her freshman year, when the weather during Green Beer Day was warmer.

“But I don’t think the cold is going to stop people from coming out,” Steer said.

By 4 p.m., green beer was starting to flow out of taps quicker and crowds of green shirts became larger.

Jacob Snow, a senior studying business analytics, celebrated his first — and last — Green Beer Day at The Pub. 

“I have class in 40 minutes,” Snow said. “I just came out to say I did it.”

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu