Around the Web: Marijuana legalization remains a state right

The use of marijuana might be less harmful than other drugs when used occasionally and at low dosages, but can pose serious mental health risks when abused, which makes it difficult to support legalizing marijuana for recreational use.

A new study has surfaced which claims that smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chance of developing psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia by nearly five times. This risk could also be more prevalent in people that have a family history of psychosis. The National Institute on Drug Abuse lists long-term effects of marijuana after repeated use as well, like the potential for addiction and impairments in learning and memory. If marijuana was made more easily accessible, people would have an easier time abusing it while possibly being oblivious to the mental health risks.

Ohio seems no closer to legalizing recreational marijuana as state officials in a GOP-controlled General Assembly are coming out against the proposal. Republicans Robert Sprague, Keith Faber, Dave Yost and Frank LaRose all said they have concerns about legalizing marijuana for personal use. Ohio voters are also not on board, as the recent plan to legalize marijuana was largely rejected.

Meanwhile, New York, being a progressive state on many matters, is considering legalizing marijuana despite complaints from government workers about the impact on society. These complaints are not just mental health issues – they range from increases in marijuana exposure with children to a potential to aggravate the state’s opioid epidemic.

The debate has always been about whether or not marijuana should be regarded as a gateway drug, and for some teens who use it to escape reality, it can be when it proves to not be strong enough to get the desired effect. Not only is it harmful to a developing brain, but teens may start to believe that the drug is not as harmful because it is legal, which may lead to a dependence on it to function in everyday life.

Marijuana can be helpful for certain illnesses, however, but these patients are prescribed certain doses to avoid these potential side effects. Ohio’s state Commerce Department recently awarded a certificate of operation to a medical marijuana processor, so patients with illnesses like cancer are able to enjoy marijuana’s effects in the form of edibles, creams and other products without concern of physical risks caused by smoking.

Marijuana may look safe to the public eye, but there are still seldom known risks that come with abusing it that need to be addressed before proceeding with a nationwide legalization. With the support of 62 percent of Americans, many states have legalized medical marijuana, but only ten states and Washington, D.C. have legalized marijuana in all forms. The U.S. still has a long way to go before it can convince its government officials that a drug that can cause many health risks is safe to be nationally legalized.

Charlotte Caldwell is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Charlotte? Email her at cc670717@ohio.edu