Existential Binge-Watching: What might be in store in ‘Avengers: Endgame’

I don’t cry at movies. Not often, anyway. Once in a blue moon, a scene will get my eyes to well up or maybe even a few tears to spill down my face, but I rarely cry when watching movies or even TV shows.

Avengers: Infinity War made me bawl like a baby.

It also made practically the whole world cry over their beloved fictional characters who were reduced to dust by the Mad Titan himself, Thanos. To say that the hype for Avengers: Endgame is real is an understatement. We will finally get answers about how our heroes can come back to save the world.

And probably get more moments that make us cry.

With the film less than a week away from its release, it feels appropriate to look ahead and theorize about what we might be able to expect and see this weekend. So without further ado, I give you my top predictions for the end of an era in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

First of all, and we’re starting big here, Captain America or Iron Man will die. Currently, I’m leaning more toward Captain America. Steve Rogers has been with the MCU, and the Avengers, since the very beginning. His story has gone many ways, but also come full circle. As hard as it would be to see him go, Avengers: Endgame seems like a very plausible end for such a brave character. I can easily see him going out in a blaze of glory, protecting those he loves.

I believe a lot of the same things about Tony Stark, but for him, I have another theory that puts Cap above him in terms of most likely to die. With our hearts still aching, Stan Lee is about to be absent from the MCU. Spider-Man: Far From Home is likely to be the last time Stan the Man will be in a Marvel movie. After he’s gone, that leaves a huge hole most fans come to expect from the movies. What better way to honor his legacy and keep the tradition of a cameo going than to have Tony Stark fill that role?

Not as multiple characters — just as Tony Stark. It’s reasonable to think that once the screen goes black, Tony has decided to power down his suit and retire. Thus, he can then do his part from afar, showing up at times in each movie to offer a sarcastic comment or piece of advice to the heroes who are still fighting when they need it.

The next prediction that must be discussed, which I’ll admit is more of a hope, is that the characters who died will stay dead. This means Loki, Heimdall and Vision will most likely not come back. Or at least they shouldn’t. The MCU has reached a point where it needs stakes, and if these characters were to return, it would take away from the impact on the audience and any deaths that might happen after.

The only one who may have a shot at coming back is Gamora, because of her relation to the Soul Stone. I see the Soul Stone as the key to bringing back characters who were dusted. Gamora might also be grouped in with these characters, since the Stone was an integral part of her demise.

In reference to saving the Avengers who perished, time will play a heavy role in this movie. And, surprisingly, so will Ant-Man, because of his discovery of time vortexes in the Quantum Realm. Since he was stuck there at the end of Ant-Man and the Wasp, he’ll have probably learned how to use them and how exactly they work. So, while the finite details are less clear, I see the solution to defeating Thanos being in time and the Soul Stone.

And, of course, we must also look at what may come after this movie. My top two guesses for the next overarching villain are Galactus or the Skrulls, who are a little less likely because of their friendly depiction in Captain Marvel. It must also be expected that the Avengers will look much different going forward, in the aftermath of Thanos.

My only other warning is that viewers probably will cry more than in Infinity War, and have to pee by the end of the three-hour runtime. So, you know, fun time to be a Marvel fan.

Be sure to make it to theaters to witness Avengers: Endgame, and do your best to stay off social media, because spoilers are everywhere. I’ll see you all on the other side.

Jackson Horvat is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those ofThe Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.