Ohio pitcher Madi McCrady (#22) throws a pitch during the Bobcats' game against Kent State on April 10. The Bobcats lost to the Golden Flashes 1-0.

Softball: Offense struggles as Ohio drops both games in doubleheader with Miami

The Bobcats played 14 innings total on Saturday. They scored one run in that time.

Coming into Saturday’s doubleheader with rival Miami, the Bobcats (28-19, 9-8 Mid-American Conference) were fourth in the MAC standings, while the Redhawks sat at the top of the standings.

Getting at least one win on Saturday was important in trying to improve Ohio’s placement ahead of the MAC tournament. Instead, the 9-0 defeat in the first game and a 6-1 loss in the second game ensured the Bobcats a series loss in their last weekend at the Ohio Softball Field this season.

Coach Kenzie Roark compared Ohio’s performance against Miami to the rainy day that engulfed the sky towards the end of the second game.

“I’d sum up today as disappointing,” Roark said. “It’s a lot like this weather. Kind of gray and dreary.”

Game One

Before the sixth inning, Ohio only trailed 2-0.

In fact, Madi McCrady had only given up one hit, a two-run home run. She had given the team a chance to win, and she just needed the offense to wake up.

When the Bobcats did find hits, though, it was a struggle to turn those baserunners into runs.

Ohio left nine players on base, and Roark was displeased with the offense failing to adjust.

“We kept doing the same things over and over again,“ she said.

Despite the offensive struggles, the first five innings were tightly contested. Then, Miami started to pull away in the sixth inning. 

The Redhawks had three separate RBI singles to build a 5-0 lead. In the seventh inning, Miami shut the door with another RBI single and a three-run homer to put the game out of reach for the Bobcats.

Game Two

Before the sixth inning of the second game, a win was still within reach for Ohio.

The Redhawks homered in the top of the fifth to increase their lead to 2-0, and Ohio responded when Katie Yun hit a solo shot to right field. The score was 2-1, and the Bobcats needed one more push to take the lead.

Then — similar to the first game — Miami widened its lead in the sixth and seventh innings, as the Redhawks scored •two RBIs in both innings.

The Bobcats had another good pitching performance through first five innings. Kendall Meeks, like McCrady in the first game, threw well enough to give the Bobcats a chance.

On Deck

Sunday’s series finale was cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Ohio will head to Buffalo next weekend for a three-game series.

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports