Ohio infielder Alex Day (#10) throws a fielded ball to first base during the Bobcats game against Northern Kentucky on March 26. The Bobcats beat the Norse 3-1. (File)

Softball: Ohio splits doubleheader with Kent State

Ohio traveled to Kent State on Tuesday to face the in-state conference rival Golden Flashes in a doubleheader. 

Kent State won game one 2-1. In game two, after five innings, Ohio was victorious, defeating Kent State 10-2. 

Game one

Alex Day gave the Bobcats the first lead of the day in the second inning with a home run. Kent State responded with back-to-back doubles to tie the game. Kent State would get the go-ahead run in the fourth inning with a solo homer. Ohio was unable to push a run across for the rest of the game. 

Game two

Just as she had in game one, Alex Day got the Bobcats on the board first in game two. A solo home run would be the first of many runs scored in Ohio’s blowout win. Ohio successfully got players on base and then used the big bats of Day and Mackenzie Brunswick to bring them home. 

Who stood out

Alex Day was the most productive Bobcat in both games. She finished her day 3-for-3, with two homers, four RBIs and three runs scored.

What's next

Ohio play again on Friday in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Ohio battles Central Michigan in a three-game series that’ll span over two days.  

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu