President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Members to vote on bill to oppose potential LGBT Center and Multicultural Center merge

Student Senate will vote on a bill to oppose the potential LGBT Center and Multicultural Center merge at Wednesday’s meeting.

On Tuesday, Ohio University announced the LGBT Center would be relocated to the Multicultural Center on the second floor of Baker Center.

There will be three other bills voted on at the meeting. 

The first bill will endorse a partnership with off-campus partners in order to form a student housing database. Another bill would affirm Student Senate’s relationship with the City of Athens. The last bill would support the expansion of transfer student aid. 

Student Senate members will also vote on 19 resolutions. 

A resolution will be presented to officiate the Bobcat Readership Program as a Student Senate initiative and to institutionalize the Bobcat Readership Program Reformation Committee into the rules and procedures. 

Another resolution would establish a mediation director as a new staff position in the rules and procedures. There will also be a resolution to updates a chapter in the Senate Appropriations Commission. Another resolution will award the Bobcat medals.

The remaining resolutions will vote on emeritus status and senior awards for 15 Student Senate members.

Student Senate will also receive a budget report from Treasurer Lydia Ramlo. Another presentation will be from Elaine Goetz, director of the Office of Sustainability, and Sam Crowl, who works in the Office of Sustainability.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu