Members of the Athens City Council discuss an ordinance during a meeting on Monday, Aug. 27, 2018. (FILE)

City Council: Discussion on entering into new grant agreement; city code changed about outdoor fires

The Athens City Council looked at an ordinance Monday that would authorize the mayor to enter into a grant agreement for up to $25,000 with the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council. 

Council President Chris Knisely said Athens had applied for these grants before and that the money had been used for solar features at benches.

The council discussed with Athens Fire Chief Robert Rymer a change to the language used in the Athens City Code about outdoor fires. The language was changed to avoid discrepancies between two different policies and to reduce the amount of fire hazards, Rymer said.

The council also appointed two people to positions within local government.

Carolyn Lewis, a member of the Athens Disability Commission, was reappointed to her position. Councilman Patrick McGee said Lewis is an “outstanding advocate.” The council also filled a vacancy on the Recreation Advisory Board. 

The council also discussed amending the 2019 Appropriation Ordinance, which earned Athens a $34,750 grant from the Ohio Supreme Court for technology upgrades.

Knisely said most of the work is done for the installation of new parking meters on Court Street, and that 150 have been added in the city altogether. She said parking meters will be enforced from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., which adds two hours of time enforced.

The council also approved the April credit card bill and the auditor’s financial report.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu