Quarterback, Nathan Rourke (#12), passes the ball during the green and white scrimmage on Saturday, August 18, 2019 in Athens, Ohio. The football team is gearing up for the season to start on August 31 against Rhode Island.

Football: Ohio vs. Rhode Island gameday guide

The number has grown every year. It’s been brought up every fall camp, seven months after the Bobcats have come painfully close to erasing one of the biggest droughts in program history and proving that their preseason hype was — at long last — valid.

That number currently stands at 51. That’s how many years have passed since Ohio won a Mid-American Conference Championship in 1968 despite the recent breadth of talent the program has inherited in the past 15 seasons under head coach Frank Solich.

Ohio has plenty of reasons to believe it can reset that number to zero this season. Its long path back to the title game begins Saturday at 2 p.m. when Ohio will play Rhode Island at Peden Stadium to open the new season.

Below you’ll find a guide to game day with broadcast information, depth charts, who has the edge, three things to watch for, a reading guide and our predictions. 

Following along

How to watch: The game can be watched on ESPN+ with Michael Reghi and Dustin Fox on the call. Fans can access the game with an ESPN+ subscription. Here’s the link.

How to listen:  The game can be heard on the Ohio IMG Sports Network. Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will be behind the mic. The broadcasts are available online through OhioBobcats.com and TuneIn.com/OhioBobcats

How to find stats: Click here for stats. 

Depth charts

Provided from each team’s game notes.

Ohio Offense

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.42.11 PM.png
Ohio's Week 1 offensive depth chart. (Provided from ohiobobcats.com)

Ohio Defense

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.42.37 PM.png
Ohio's Week 1 defensive depth chart. (Provided via ohiobobcats.com)

Rhode Island

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.44.12 PM.png

Rhode Island’s Week 1 depth chart.

(Provided from Rhode Island Athletics)

Three things to watch

Running back rotation

The Bobcats could use at least five running backs in their first game of the season. Offensive coordinator Tim Albin wants to see how deep Ohio is in its backfield, so expect to see Julian Ross, O’Shaan Allison, Ja’Vahri Portis, De’Montre Tuggle and Jake Neatherton receive snaps. 

Neatherton is still recovering from an injury, however, and Ross hasn’t seen any in-game action since he suffered an injury in October. Albin could opt to utilize those running backs a bit more carefully than others.

Young wide receivers

Outside of redshirt junior Cam Odom, the Bobcats lack any receiver with formidable experience. Redshirt sophomore Isiah Cox fills the No. 2 spot after hauling in 11 receptions in 13 games last season, and redshirt freshman Jerome Buckner will fill in at No. 3 after he recorded three receptions in four games last season.

Not much is known about the wide receiver depth after those three wide outs. Saturday will provide some answers that could go a long way toward how far quarterback Nathan Rourke, who has established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in program history, will take the Bobcats in his final collegiate season.

Shane Hooks, Ty Walton and Tyler Tupa will have the first shot at showing they deserve snaps this season, too. All three have yet to record their first college receptions.

Dangerous defensive line?

Amos Ogun-Semore, a redshirt sophomore, believes this defensive line can have a special year despite inexperience in its interior.

“I want everybody to have 10-plus sacks,” said Ogun-Semore, a defensive end. “I want the entire defensive line to break (the sack record). We're all capable of doing that.”

No, not everyone on the defensive line will make a run at 11.5 sacks, the record set by Tarrell Basham in 2016. But the Bobcats are still confident in who they have up front, and Saturday will provide a glimpse at how potent the group can be.

The edge

When Ohio has the ball: Ohio returns its star quarterback in Rourke, who passed for 23 touchdowns, ran for 15 more and threw just eight interceptions. The signal-caller has two seasons notched under his belt and is both confident and prepared heading into the season. Sure, the Bobcats will miss the likes of A.J. Ouellette and Papi White, but their young core of skill players have plenty of talent that will cultivate over time. Julian Ross highlights the talent with his explosiveness that is really yet to be seen.   

Edge: Ohio

When Rhode Island has the ball: The Rams haven’t formally announced a starting quarterback ahead of the game, which can potentially disrupt a flow for the other 10 players on offense. They do return quality wide receiver talent in Aaron Parker, who has the potential to stretch the field. Ohio returns six of its starters from last year on defense, and there’s a sense of something to prove with the interior line relatively inexperienced. Where it’s strong, however, is in the secondary, which is led by redshirt senior Javon Hagan. 

Edge: Ohio

Special teams: Ohio’s security blanket is in its special teams units. The Bobcats return all three of their key members in punter Michael Farkas, kicker Louie Zervos and long snapper Devin King.

Edge: Ohio

Reading guide

Predictions

Sports Editor Anthony Poisal: Solich has said all week that Rhode Island won’t be an easy victory. Cliche? Sure, but the Rams are fresh off their first winning season since 2001 and have made big improvements within the program. This should still be one of Ohio’s easiest games of the season, though. Ohio wins 30-14.

Sports Editor Matt Parker: After witnessing a vast majority of Ohio’s fall camp, there have been a couple of apparent themes, but one stands out from the rest — hungry. The Bobcats have planned on how they can replace White and Ouellette, among other players, and for the first time since December, Ohio will line up against someone that isn’t wearing a green jersey. The young talent aside, this game is Ohio’s. Ohio wins 45-10.

@anthonyp_2

@matthewlparker5

ap012215@ohio.edu

mp109115@ohio.edu