A Turkish beekeeper made friends with some honey-loving bears; the Board of Elections is not moving locations

Today is Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

If you can’t beat them, join them. 

That’s the lesson a Turkish beekeeper learned during a lengthy battle with wild bears who were stealing honey from his hives. After steel cages failed to protect his beehives from the bears, Ibrahim Sedef came up with a win-win scenario. 

Anyone who grew up watching Winnie-the-Pooh knows that bears love honey. Sedef decided to put that to the test and let the bears sample his honey. 

Sedef set up a table near his hives in northern Turkey and filmed the bears sampling different kinds of honey he set out for them. A video shows bears munching on fruit and dripping their paws in the honey. 

The bears were drawn to the Anzer honey, NTV reported. Sedef was apparently impressed with the bears’ refined taste because Anzer honey is a Turkish delicacy and sells for upwards of $300 depending on the amount.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

She grew up in church, but Christianity just “never took.” This is the story of what life is like for an Appalachian atheist (The Post)

Pumpkin could be leaving Court Street as the Board of Elections looks at moving locations. (The Post)

Hand-made quilts from across the region will be on display in Athens this weekend. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Papi White went pro over the summer, but his legacy lives on in Ty Walton. (The Post)

Football will open the season without a set starter at running back. (The Post)

Here’s what Ohio hockey has been up to this summer (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today will be mostly sunny with a high of 79 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

There are no male Northern White Rhinos left, but the species might live on thanks to science. (The New York Times)

While Turkish beekeepers might be able to feed bears, you probably shouldn’t. This man got a hefty fine for feeding a Canadian bear some doughnuts (CBC)

Apple apologized after admitting it paid third-party users to listen to Siri voice recordings. (BBC)

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu