There’s a time jump during Wednesday’s episode of ‘American Horror Story: 1984.’ (Photo provided via @AHS9_1984 on Twitter)

TV Review: Brooke isn’t really dead, Mr. Jingles deserves justice on ‘AHS: 1984’

When the American Horror Story promotion for this week’s episode showed it would be the 100th episode, fans were excited for something big. However, this episode seemed to be just as ordinary as any other. 

Last week’s episode ended with Margaret (Leslie Grossman) blaming all of the Camp Redwood killings on Brooke (Emma Roberts), everyone else dying on the campsite and getting stuck there and Richard (Zach Villa) and Mr. Jingles, a.k.a. Benjamin Richter, (John Carroll Lynch) leaving to carry out Satan’s work.

This week’s episode completely shifts gears and picks up a year later in 1985, with Benjamin and Richard on the road. Benjamin decides he’s not happy with their lifestyle, and gets Richard thrown in jail. After that, he decides to start a new life, changing his name to Donald, and after the four year jump to 1989, getting married and having a baby. 

Meanwhile, in 1989, Margaret has made herself a huge fortune as a realtor of revamping haunted sites, and she married Trevor (Matthew Morrison) who survived getting stabbed by Margaret at Camp Redwood. Trevor blackmailed Margaret into giving him money, and she agreed on the condition that they got married so he couldn’t testify against her. 

Back at Camp Redwood, Montana (Billie Lourde) and Xavier (Cody Fern) are killing for sport, and Ray (DeRon Horton) isn’t happy about it. He wants them to relax, but they refuse. One of the dead campers includes AHS veteran, Evan Peters. 

Margaret’s real estate business is hitting a lull, so she decides to hold a music festival at Camp Redwood, in light of the recent murders there. Margaret’s assistant, who happens to be portrayed by Leslie Jordan, doesn’t think it’s a good idea, but she goes ahead with it anyway. 

After being convicted for all of the crimes and losing her last appeal, Brooke is set for execution. Richard tries to get her to turn over to Satan, but she refuses. However, she does go through with the execution and Margaret is there to watch. Richard contacts Satan for help in getting out of jail to go to the music festival and murder more people. Richard escapes jail, and Brooke seems to be dead.

The first thing Richard does when he gets out of jail is kill Benjamin’s wife to send him a message for turning him in. Benjamin decides he must end this, and go back to Camp Redwood to stop Richard. He first gives his baby to his wife’s sister, so he will be safe.

“When Bobby is old enough, tell him I love him more than everything,” Benjamin said. “I’m going to end this –– all of it.”

Though Brooke seems to be dead, the episode ends with Brooke being revived by none other than Dede (Angelica Ross), who faked her execution to get her out of jail. What’s her plan? We don’t know yet, but it has to be something good. 

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

American Horror Story: 1984 airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu