‘American Horror Story: 1984’ takes a dramatic turn during Wednesday’s episode. (Photo provided via @411wrestling on Twitter)

TV Review: The night is over, almost everyone is dead on ‘AHS: 1984’

Just when you think the season isn’t going anywhere, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk throw a curveball and set up something great. 

Last week’s episode ended with Richard (Zach Villa) being resurrected by Satan and Margaret (Leslie Grossman) confessing it was her who killed all of the campers, not Mr. Jingles (John Caroll Lynch).

The audience gets a deeper look into Rita/Dede’s (Angelica Ross) past this week. Dede’s father was a serial killer and killed himself in front of her, which explains why Dede has spent her entire life trying to figure out the psychology of serial killers. 

Just as Montana (Billie Lourde) is about to fulfill her character’s purpose of killing Brooke (Emma Roberts), Brooke sees Ray (DeRon Horton) running outside. Ray is like the hitchhiker in the first two episodes who repeatedly died and came back to life.

Ray and Brooke have a heart-to-heart and have sex before she sees his decapitated head in the kitchen and realizes he’s dead. 

When she goes back to tell Montana, the two break into an epic showdown while Montana tries to kill Brooke, and Brooke fights for her life. 

Meanwhile, Margaret takes Chet (Gus Kenworthy) to the middle of the lake and drowns him. It’s clear her new mission is to kill each counselor, one-by-one. 

However, Mr. Jingles is on a mission to kill Margaret. On the way, he runs into Rita, who apologizes for what she’s done and begs him to kill her. He says no, that he only has one kill left in him, and he’s saving it for Margaret. 

“You, you don’t get off so easy,” Mr. Jingles said. “You’re going to have to live with what you’ve done.”

Mr. Jingles finds Margaret, but before he can kill her, Xavier (Cody Fern) shoots him with a bow and arrow. After Xavier rushes to Margaret’s aid, she kills him. Both Mr. Jingles and Xavier come back to life, but Mr. Jingles accepts Satan as his master. 

After five episodes of only one night, the sun rises, and the kids are finally arriving to camp. However, right when the kids get there, they see Brooke killing Montana. 

The police are called, and Margaret blames everything on Brooke, so she gets arrested. The audience figures out the people who die at Camp Redwood can’t leave, except for Richard and Mr. Jingles because they both accepted Satan as their master. The two leave the camp and head for Los Angeles, while Xavier, Montana, Ray and the hitchhiker are still stuck there. 

This season spent five episodes, which is half of the season, focused on one night. Now that most of the cast is dead and the others have fates that are up in the air, it’ll be interesting to see where Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk take the rest of the season. 

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

American Horror Story: 1984 airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu