So Listen: Learn about yourself through astrology

Astrology has been around for centuries. Different cultures used their interpretations of the stars and planets to predict aspects of personality or the future that a person may have. Recently, astrology has become a trend, and websites like Co-Star and Cafe Astrology are making it easier to understand aspects of the natal chart, which is a snapshot chart of the sky based on the day, time and place someone is born. 

That snapshot shows the 12 areas of the sky that represent each zodiac and can be best described as looking like a 12-slice pie. While most people know their sun sign (which is regarded as personality as a whole), lots of people don’t know that they are multiple signs. For example, someone could be a Virgo Sun, with a Cancer Moon and a Leo Mars.

Astrology was first practiced by the Babylonians more than 2,000 years ago and introduced it to the Greeks in 4th century BC. Scientists and philosophers like Plato and Aristotle regarded it as a legitimate science. Following the Greeks, the Romans and Arabs adopted and developed their own forms of astrology, until it was spread to the whole world. It was used to predict weather patterns, was used by kings and emperors to make decisions and eventually spread to all people as a form of counsel. Astrology can’t exactly be proved, but it can’t be disproved either.

Regardless of the proof astrology holds, most people find their sun sign, the sign based only off of the day they were born, to be pretty accurate. When they look deeper into their other placements — such as Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars and the aspects that these bodies control — they find their signs are even more accurate.

Astrology can assist in understanding ourselves. If we want to better understand how we act in romantic relationships, we can look at our Venus placement. Our moon sign can give us insights about our emotions and emotional reactions. If we want to understand how we like to be communicated with and how we can better communicate, we can check our Mercury placement. There is a placement for most aspects of personality, each that can help you understand yourself or other people better.

Even if placements seem inaccurate, astrology gives a reason and an opportunity to think deeply and analytically about different aspects of ourselves. Astrology makes us think about character traits, behavioral tendencies, and hidden desires. The personal understanding that comes as a benefit of astrology is what people should be focused on. Astrology doesn’t fit into the categories of “real” or “fake.” Astrology means something different to everyone, and everyone could benefit from figuring out what it means.

Mikayla Rochelle is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Mikayla by tweeting her at @mikayla_roch.