Some US cities are banning fast food drive-thrus; the Marching 110 has been suspended for hazing allegations

Today is Friday, Oct. 11, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

In the near future, with the help of new legislation, fast food drive-thru windows may become obsolete.

Minneapolis is the latest city in a growing list that has passed legislation to ban the construction of new drive-thru windows. The purpose of this initiative in many cities is to “curb emissions, reduce litter, improve pedestrian safety and enhance walkability.”

The legislation has also been promoted as “an opportunity to create healthier food environments and curb obesity.” The U.S. is not the first to come up with the idea. 27 cities in Canada have implemented the ban and have claimed to see “public health gains.”

Obesity rates in southern Los Angeles, however, continued to rise for three years following the ban. Hank Cardello, director of the Hudson Institute’s Food Policy Center, said banning drive-thrus is not the right path to take to solve the issues.

“Instead of banning drive-thrus, we need to put pressure on the restaurant chains,” Cardello said. "As an industry, they haven't stepped up to make a commitment to cutting calories and improving nutrition ... to make eating healthy more of a default choice."

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s what you need to know about Jerwon Thomas and his slam poetry. (The Post)

The Marching 110 has been suspended after hazing allegations. (The Post)

Learn about the local Athens pumpkin patch. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio field hockey looks to get back on track with weekend visits to Michigan State and Central Michigan. (The Post)

Ohio volleyball will be traveling to division-leading Akron this weekend. (The Post)

Here is the scouting report for Ohio hockey’s series against Robert Morris-Illinois. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Grab your sunglasses! It will be mostly sunny today with a high of 78 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

California banned hotels from giving out complimentary plastic toiletries, like shampoo. (NBC)

Ed Sheeran and Prince Harry made a video together for World Mental Health Day. (ET)

Antarctica’s ice shelves are melting at their most vulnerable points. (Live Science)

@CharCCaldwell 

cc670717@ohio.edu