Mattel released a braille version of Uno; OU enrollment has declined over the years

Today is Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

One of the world’s favorite card games just got more accessible.

Teaming up with the National Federation of the Blind, Mattel rolled out a braille version of Uno that will allow people who are blind or visually impaired to play. The cards feature braille on the front and back so players can reach the card’s color, number and corresponding instructions.

“UNO Braille is doing more than making this beloved game more accessible,” Mark Riccobono, preside of the National Federation of the Blind, said via Mashable. “It’s also helping promote the importance and normalcy of braille by putting it in places people might not expect, and integrating it into the play of blind children.”

Furthering the accessibility, Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant both have enabled voice instructions for players that might get confused and need help. Players are able to buy braille cards at UNOBraille.com, but the braille version of the game is available at Target. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio University students are taking advantage of Instagram to sell thrifted clothing. (The Post)

OU enrollment has slightly decreased over the years. (The Post)

Here are 10 songs to get you in the mood for spooky season. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio soccer’s Sydney Leckie is a leader for the team this season. (The Post)

Ohio hockey’s Andrew Sacca is always looking to improve. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Don’t break out the sweaters and boots just yet. It won’t feel like fall for at least a few more days with tomorrow having a high of 92 degrees and partly cloudy skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A federal judge ruled Harvard’s admissions process does not discriminate against Asian-Americans. (NPR)

Protests erupted in Hong Kong as China’s National Day Parade took place in celebration of its 70th year as a Communist country. (The New York Times)

Is eating beef healthy? Experts in nutrition science are debating. (Vox)

@ShillcockGeorge

gs261815@ohio.edu