Six affordable fall trends to wear during Homecoming

Homecoming never fails to be one of the most eventful weekends at Ohio University. While  many gravitate toward comfort clothes during the long days and nights, style is still key. Last year, circle sunglasses, teddy bear coats and Adidas Superstar sneakers were all the rage. This year, it’s time for some new style inspiration to craft your perfect Homecoming ensembles (*cough shoelace belt cough*).Thankfully, you won’t have to trade a good outfit for your sanity because each trend or style is affordable and easy to do. Here are six of the latest affordable and effortless styles/trends to sport for Homecoming:

DIY halter top

It’s time to make use of the pile of unflattering t-shirts that you can’t seem to part with. The good news: You only need 15 minutes, a pair of scissors and an old t-shirt. The halter top is a classic staple that’s stylish and, even better, free. Luckily, you won’t need to break the bank to show off some school spirit. Instead of buying from an expensive tailgate-apparel Instagram account, channel your artsy side this year for an adorable, yet affordable Homecoming look.  

Denim 

Denim has longed survived the test of time for a reason. The options are endless with this timeless fabric that never goes out of style. Jorts, mom jeans and high- or low-waisted jeans are just a few of the numerous choices. Spice up your favorite denim jacket with green embroidery or OU patches for a unique way to rep school spirit this Homecoming. If the weather gets chilly, a denim jacket is the perfect warm compliment to a DIY halter or crop top as well.

Asymmetrical Sunglasses

Circle sunglasses walked so asymmetrical sunglasses could run. It may be October, but the sun is still shining and you have the perfect excuse to prolong the accessories that dominated this summer. Sunglasses are an integral part of any good outfit, but during Homecoming, they’re even more important. Say goodbye to outdated circle frames, and say hello to red cat-eye and ’90s-inspired micro-rectangular frames.

Shoelace string belt

Simply put, shoelaces had the best glow up of 2019. Gone are the days of only using the string to lace up your sneakers, because it’s now a subtle yet stylish accessory for every outfit. Between all the walking on Court Street and crowded scenes, Homecoming is obviously all about comfortable styles. The shoelace string belt provides more comfort than a regular belt and is the perfect on-trend compliment for your rocking Homecoming outfit. The best part? It’s free.

Platform shoes

Platform shoes have made their routinely returns to the runway. However, this time around they’re back and better than ever. Love it or hate it, Fila Disruptors’ are taking the fashion world by storm with their chunky heel support. Platforms add glamour to a rather casual look, and raise the level of comfort as well. With this trend, waive on the cautionary side. After all, it’s easy to fall when you're four inches taller.

Flannel

If all else fails, just rock a flannel. Homecoming usually signifies the beginning of fall and as the weather continues to cool, you’ll want to reach for something cozy with effortless style. Thankfully, flannels can be extremely inexpensive and found at the nearest thrift and costume stores. Wear this classic staple with a favorite pair of denim shorts or mom jeans, and you’re set for the long day. Trends may come and go, but your favorite flannel is forever. 

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu