Ohio University reimagines general education to better meet student needs

For the first time in 40 years, changes are going to be made to the general education curriculum at Ohio University.

Since 1979, several major reforms have been attempted, but only minor adjustments have been made, according to OU’s website.  

In preparation for the changes a task force responsible for outlining changes the general education was created last spring. The task force is called the Reimagining General Education Task Force, according to OU’s website. 

Aside from needing to update the dated program requirements, one of the major reasons for reform is so that all general education achieves the Ohio Common Goals learning outcomes, according to OU’s website.

The common goals of general education for all programs require that all majors have a knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world; intellectual, practical, and professional skills and citizenship embodied by personal, social, and professional responsibility. 

The learning outcomes for general education classes do not match the learning outcomes for the Common Goals, according to OU’s website. 

Additionally, Faculty Senate’s Gen Ed committee determined there was an unclear way of students connecting general education classes to their major, according to a previous Post report. Employers are also in the dark as to what role those classes play. 

The current system in place is organized by what specific classes students should take. The task force aims to change the system by starting to organize classes by what students should learn. 

The evaluation of what the students are learning from their gen-ed classes is unclear, and potential deficiencies are unable to be measured. 

In a September meeting, the task force presented five general education principles that the gen-ed programs should possess to the Faculty Senate and the University Curriculum Council, according to OU’s website.

The principles state that the curriculum should be challenging, inclusive, flexible, faculty driven, learner-centric and challenging.

Anita Gilson, a sophomore studying journalism, thinks a lot of her gen-ed classes won’t benefit her in her future profession. 

“Since I'm majoring in journalism, I don’t think it’s necessary for me to have to take a math class,” Gilson said. “I'd rather take another English or a writing course because math and other science classes I’m never going to use. I don’t like having to pay for a class that won’t benefit me in the long run.”  

Kimber Adams, a freshman studying marketing, thinks her general education classes are beneficial. 

“I feel like my gen-ed’s are necessary even if they don’t directly pertain to my major,” Adams said. “It helps to know at least a little bit about different aspects other than marketing,”

On Oct. 7, the task force will propose three new models for the new general education curriculum to the Faculty Senate and University Curriculum Council. 

The new proposed models will be completely different than the current tier I, II and III model that is currently in place.

The timeline for the new general education program is subject to change, but the new model is estimated to be decided on by spring, and implemented by fall 2021.

In order to get the information out to students about the new changes being made, the task force will hold a poster event on Oct. 9 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the lounge on the fifth floor of Baker Center, according to OU’s website. 

The event will feature posters showing the different models being proposed, the timeline, the common goals and principles, Dr. Katie Hartman, chair of the general education committee and a member of the task force, said. 

Students are welcome to come any time to view the posters and ask questions they might have, Hartman said.

@BussertMaddie

mb901017@ohio.edu