Here’s The Tea: Protests show the middle and working classes are tired of being stomped on

2019 is the year for protesting. From the Global Climate Strike in September to the demonstrations in Lebanon this month, there has been an increase in protests globally. With that increase, the motivations behind the protests can be confusing, but they all have one common theme: discontent with governments. 

Protest is a way for a group of people to have their thoughts heard regarding a particular issue. Protesting has the ability to influence people in positions of power to create a better policy that tailors to the needs of everyone. Protesting can be violent or nonviolent, and it allows groups to voice their frustrations and articulate their demands. 

Students have increasingly let their voices be heard about issues they are passionate about. That increase can be seen in the U.S. with the March for Our Lives movement, founded by students who survived a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Students are also starting protests globally. For instance, high school students in Chile started protesting after the government decided to increase ticket prices for the metro. 

Global protests often are focused on government roles in failing economies. For instance, in Lebanon, people are protesting a prospective tax on Whatsapp messages. That proposed tax is to combat the high debt the Lebanese government faces. Lebanese protesters are peacefully protesting by blocking the roads with yoga or with cars. Within a failing economy, inequality will strengthen as the socioeconomic structure will become more rigid, thus leading the protests to become about inequality and frustration with political figures. 

The violent demonstrations in Hong Kong started after suspects were transferred to China to be tried in the courts of the Communist Party. But that has now shifted into combating the government response to the protest. Police officers responded to protests by spraying the protesters with tear gas and water cannons. Hong Kong is not the only area where authorities have had a violent response to protesting. The government and authorities are negatively reacting to the protests, but change is occurring because of them. 

With the initial reason for the protests in Hong Kong, the bill to transfer suspects to China has been withdrawn. The outcome for these global protests appears uncertain, but with the response from authorities, it is clear that the government is hearing the protesters.

After seeing the effective change protesting can bring, it is no wonder multiple protests are sprouting across the globe. Governments fail to realize that people are tired of blindly following policies and demands. Today’s generation is the generation of “why?” It will constantly ask questions and challenge authority when they believe authority is in the wrong. So long as governments remain corrupt and ineffective, people will continue to protest and might see more and more protests occur into 2020. 

Iana Fields is a freshman studying English creative writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Iana? Tweet her @FieldsIana.