It’s the end of the road for ‘Supernatural.’  (Photo provided via @NYDailyNews on Twitter)

TV Review: Sam and Dean have work to do in the season 15 premiere of ‘Supernatural’

Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) pick up the pieces that God left on Thursday’s episode of Supernatural. If you couldn’t watch the season 15 premiere live, here’s what you missed:

Jack is a demon for the time being

In last season's finale, Chuck (Rob Benedict) reopened every case the boys solved, which means that whatever the boys did over the past 14 seasons, in this timeframe, means nothing. 

The final season premiere picks right up where last season left off. Fighting off ghost zombies, Sam, Dean and Cas (Misha Collins), who picked up Jack’s (Alexander Calvert) body, managed to lock themselves inside a mausoleum. Desperate to find a way out, Sam and Dean pry open a concrete slab only to find a ghost zombie grabbing at them. Cas slams a slab down on the zombie, but that only freed the ghost. Seconds later, Jack stands up now inhabited by the demon, Belphagor. He’s their ticket out. 

Jack, or Belphagor, assures the boys that he wants the same thing as them. He liked Hell the way it was, so when 2-3 billion souls escaped, his life of punching a clock was disrupted.

Jack/Belphagor at one point fangirls over Dean’s work with Alastair, a callback to season four. Dean asks what happened when Chuck released the souls and Jack/Belphagor said that every door opened, even the cage with Michael, which could foreshadow the season.   

Jack/Belphagor creates a force field the demons can’t cross

Jack/Belphagor tells the boys about a spell that acts as a mile-wide salt circle where the hunters could “contain” the ghosts. Because there’s a town less than a mile away from the cemetery, the brothers have to pose as FBI agents and evacuate the town to the high school, which is two miles away. 

Jack/Belphagor gathers the materials for the spell, salt and a human heart, and says the spell which blasts out the force field. Just in time too because Sam and Cas get mixed up with John Wayne Gacy’s ghost and Bloody Mary. Running for their lives, Sam, Cas, the mother and the daughter they rescued while sweeping the neighborhood safely make it to the force field’s edge.

There’s something up with Sam’s shoulder wound

While fending off John Wayne Gacy’s Ghost, Sam gets sliced by a blade but Cas quickly heals the wound. Cas discovers Sam’s shoulder wound from shooting God and when he tries to heal it, Sam gets a vision. Sam looks evil, almost like when he was possessed by Lucifer and the audience could hear Dean begging “Sam, please.”  Cas jumps back and says that there’s an energy in the wound. The injury doesn’t have an exit hole because technically, the gun didn’t use bullets — it used waves of multidimensional energy because the gun was supposed to kill Jack. The injury could affect Sam is a number of ways, so it’ll be interesting to see where that arc goes. 

The show’s last scene pays homage to season one’s last scene

Sam and Dean talk about how if Chuck isn’t in the picture, it’s just Sam and Dean against two billion ghosts. “When we win this, God’s gone. There’s no one to screw with us, there’s no more maze. It’s just us. And we’re free,” Sam says. Dean responds with, *“So you and me verse every soul in hell? I like those odds.”

Dean says, “Well you know what that means.” Sam answers, “We got work to do.”

Just as Sam goes to slam the trunk close, there’s a millisecond flashback to the final scene of the pilot premiere where Sam closes the trunk. In the pilot’s premiere, Sam says the same line, but the tone of the show is vastly different, where the boys are on a revenge mission and full of hope. 

The show made a genuine effort to bring the first and last seasons together in small ways. The old school cases, like Woman in White and Bloody Mary, are a nod to season one ghosts. The special effects aren’t great, but they weren’t great in 2005. It’s almost touching.

Here’s what Twitter had to say about the latest episode:

Supernatural airs Thursday at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu