Facebook is making a new meme app; check out our Climate Issue

Today is Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

As TikTok grows in popularity (and controversy), other big tech companies are scrambling to keep up.

Enter Facebook’s new meme-making experiment, Whale. The app was slipped onto the Canadian App Store earlier this month and allows users to create and share memes based on a stock library and share them on social media, The Verge reported.

The app isn’t Facebook’s first beef with TikTok: Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg previously took aim at the rival app after it reportedly censored content that was critical to the Chinese government. TikTok was originally launched in China.

“The Chinese government does not request that TikTok censor content, and would not have jurisdiction regardless, as TikTok does not operate there,” a TikTok representative told The Verge.

Whale is far from the first experimental app launched by Facebook’s New Product Experimentation team. According to The Verge, other experimental apps launched by the company include *“Moments, Notify, Lifestage, Poke, Slingshot, Tbh, Moves and Hello.” 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Three men were arraigned on charges related to Collin Wiant’s death. (The Post)

Check out The Post’s climate issue (The Post)

Music streaming services both help and hinder up-and-coming musicians. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio men’s basketball is heading to Myrtle Beach. (The Post)

Here's why Ohio wrestling's Sean Mondello decided to wrestle instead of dive (The Post)

Three Ohio volleyball players have been named to the All-MAC team. (The Post)

Athens Weather

You may want to grab your umbrella. There’s a 20% chance of rain today. The high will be 58 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A San Antonio, California, man found his stolen Prius, but was “heartbroken” because the thief never returned his favorite white Crocs. (News 4)

Yikes, a studio executive suggested Julia Roberts play Harriet Tubman. (TMZ)

A lawyer was killed when a gun being presented as evidence went off. (News.com.au)

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu