Riley’s Rundown: Celebrities need to post less and do more for the environment

It’s a regular occurence to see news about the climate crisis. Between newspapers, broadcast news, magazines, Twitter, Instagram and every other platform out there, news about climate change is inescapable. 

Often times, celebrities tweet about the climate crisis encouraging their fans to take action. While that’s all fine and good in theory, how many of these celebrities are actually doing their parts? 

Musicians, actors, comedians, influencers and all types of entertainers take to social media to discuss the climate crisis. They like to tweet #ClimateStrike and post some links, but just tweeting isn’t enough. Although posting about it is better than doing nothing, if these celebrities really cared about climate change, they would do more to help. 

Take Leonardo DiCaprio, for example. He founded his own climate initiative called the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation in 1998. Since then, he’s awarded $100 million in grants to 132 organizations and more than 200 projects across 50 countries. The foundation’s six focus areas are wildlife and landscapes, marine life and oceans, climate change, media, science and technology, Environment Now California program and indigenous rights. 

DiCaprio is using his wealth and influence to better the planet. He can make all of the tweets and posts he wants, because he actually backs them up with actions. 

Another unlikely celebrity environmental activist is David Burd, better known for his rapper name, Lil Dicky. Burd released a song three days before Earth Day called “Earth,” where he features a number of notable celebrities all singing about why saving the earth is important. 

Not only did he use the song to raise awareness, but he partnered with the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation to identify the best nonprofits to work with, and he created a website where people can go to learn more about the problems going on with the earth and what they can do to help. It introduces each issue in a relatable and understandable sense, and you can even sign petitions, donate to offset your carbon footprint and register to vote. Burd is talking about climate change and backing up his talk with actions, which is essential in this day and age. 

It’s not just actors and musicians, but other entertainers are fighting for change. Supermodel Gisele Bundchen was named Greenest International Celebrity of the Year in 2011, thanks to her efforts as an active member of the Rainforest Alliance board of directors and her Clean Water Project from her hometown of Horizontina that has planted around 40,000 native forest saplings.

Those people frequently post about saving the environment, but they also back up their actions. Although there are other celebrities and public figures who work hard to protect the environment, a lot of them simply just post or make videos about it instead of doing something truly impactful. Instead of listening to celebrities tell people what they should do about climate change, it’s time they started taking a note from their peers and making their own impact. 

Riley Runnells is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Riley know by emailing her at rr855317@ohio.edu.