E-scooters arrival is delayed until February due to a shortage

The arrival of Spin’s electric scooters to Athens and Ohio University has been delayed until February due to a shortage of e-scooters. 

“We had to create rules to make sure that this new model operated within the law,” Councilman Peter Kotses, D-At-Large, said. “We also have good expectations for what’s going to happen when these companies get permits and come into the city.”

Kotses said the scooters will bring outside revenue to Athens and create different transportation options for residents.

Kylie Gardner, a senior studying communication sciences and disorders said e-scooters will benefit OU, but she probably won’t use them.

“I just don’t feel like the town’s big enough to have them,” Gardner. “It would give people something to do during games and such, though.” 

Tia Hysell, director of Transportation and Parking Services for OU, said the scooters are designed to give riders “an effortless experience.”

Kotses said Spin’s delay in launching scooters came at a good time because they would be pulled off the streets during the winter months, as they are only available seasonally.

Marija Giglio, a senior studying special education, said it would be fun to have them on campus. 

“I would use the service for getting from class to class,” Giglio said. 

Kotses said the scooters will offer an additional transportation option for people. The e-scooter routes will be tracked and analyzed by the city in order to better provide infrastructure to support the most popular routes.

“Electric scooters will be very beneficial because it will be an easier and more convenient way to get across campus,” Kendall Kraft, a freshman studying communication studies, said. 

Kraft also said she will use the e-scooters to help her avoid making her knee swollen since she had surgery recently. 

“Traversing our streets is (one of) the most dangerous things we do, so if e-scooters take a vehicle off our streets, it’s going to be a positive for the city,” Kotses said.

@court_perrett12

cp160517@ohio.edu