Photo provided via Ohio University.

Interim LGBT Center director named new director

Ohio University’s vice president of Diversity and Inclusion announced Wednesday that the current interim LGBT Center director will become the center’s director in December.

Gigi Secuban announced that Micah McCarey would be moving into the position. McCarey replaces delfin bautista, who was put on paid administrative leave in early January and was not renewed, according to a previous Post report.

McCarey previously worked as the assistant director of East Green and Diversity Initiatives. 

“It’s incredibly important to me that the entirety of the LGBTQ+ spectrum and broader community feels welcome at our LGBT Center,” McCarey said in a press release.

The LGBT Center, located in Baker Center Room 354, now has three full-time professional staff members and nine student employees.

McCarey has a bachelor’s degree in communication studies from OU’s Honors Tutorial College. He also holds a master’s degree in human development from OU. He is currently completing doctoral work in decision-making, according to an OU news release.

As interim director, McCarey’s salary was $68,223, according to a previous Post report.

McCarey has had a great impact on the center while he has been the interim director, Secuban said in the news release.

“I want to thank Micah for everything he has done and will continue to do as the new LGBT Center director and look forward to the positive changes he will bring,” Secuban said in the news release.

Under McCarey’s leadership, the LGBT Center attended the CampusPride LGBT College Fairs to recruit prospective students. The center also instructed a course for first-year and transfer students seeking LGBT connections and information.

@ianmck9

im581017@ohio.edu