Instagram is rolling out direct messages on its website; OU professors to hold silent protest Friday

Today is Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Instagram users will soon have a new way of sliding into the DMs.

On Jan. 14, Instagram started rolling out the ability to direct message users on its website. Previously, the function was only available on the mobile app.

Only a “small portion” of users from across the globe are able to access the feature so far. Instagram said those users are being used as a test group, and more details about a global rollout for the feature will be released in the future. 

Similar to the app, the web feature will allow for users to create new groups, start a chat with someone from the DM screen, double tap to like a message and more. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The first CrossFit affiliate in Athens, CrossFit SEO, aims to help people become the best version of themselves. (The Post)

Local Athens band Cardboard Sailors is holding a release party at The Union Bar and Grill on Thursday to celebrate its EP release. (The Post)

Ohio University’s American Association of University Professors chapter is holding a silent protest Friday to protest budget cuts. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio women’s basketball will take on the Western Michigan Broncos on Wednesday. (The Post)

Ohio men’s basketball lost 76-73 against Buffalo on Tuesday. (The Post)

Athens Weather:

You might want to pack an umbrella today. There’s a 40% chance of rain and a high of 61 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

President Donald Trump said evidence of an imminent attack “really didn’t matter” in the U.S.’s killing of an Iranian leader. (USA Today)

Ocean temperatures are at the highest ever recorded. (Live Science)

The recently released Disney+ streaming service was the most downloaded app in the final quarter of 2019. (TechCrunch)

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu