The University of Nevada, Reno (via Wikipedia)

Football: 5 fun facts about the University of Nevada, Reno

BOISE, Idaho – Ohio is set to face Nevada on Friday in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl for its second appearance in the Potato Bowl in program history.

Ahead of the game, however, The Post will continue its on-going series of taking a closer look at the institution that the Bobcats are about to go against.

And for the last time this football season, here are five fun facts about Ohio’s opponent.

Separation issues

Like most institutions, Nevada has undergone several name changes since the university was founded as the State University of Nevada in the late 1800s. It bears its current name after a branch campus formerly known as the University of Nevada Southern Campus separated and turned into the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Hollywood architecture

Settled on top of a hill that looks over Truckee Meadows and the casinos that make up Reno, the campus’s certain style of architecture made it a popular spot for Hollywood film makers to come in and shoot movies in the 1940s.

Films such as “Andy Hardy’s Blonde Trouble,” “Apartment for Peggy” and “Mother is a Freshman” have been shot on the campus.

A greener today for tomorrow

Nevada makes a conscious effort in regards toward sustainability and has done so since the fall of 2008 when the university created its own Sustainability Committee.

Since its inception, the committee has helped foster the creation of solar panels to power various buildings, operated university busses with bio-diesel fuels and established a university-wide bicycle program.

The world’s most outspoken chimp

In 1967 Nevada had brought a chimpanzee named Washoe to campus for specific language experiments. Over time, Washoe learned how to communicate through American Sign Language with a confirmed 350 different signs.

Ah-woo

The university’s mascot and team nickname are the Wolf Pack, but it originally started as just one wolf named Wolfie. With the realization that one wolf can’t be a pack, characters named Alphie, Wolfie Jr. and Luna were created to accompany Wolfie.

The athletic program accepted the moniker as its official name after a local writer in 1921 described the play of a team as a “pack of wolves.”

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu