Slow and steady wins the reproductive race; here’s how students’ absence affects local businesses during winter break

Today is Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

A tortoise single-handedly saved his entire species at the brink of extinction by having an avid sex life

Diego, one of only two giant males from the Galapagos Islands, was a part of a breeding program through the San Diego Zoo where 15 tortoises worked to boost the island’s population.

None played a bigger role than Diego in the program. The Galapagos National Parks service discovered the 100-year-old tortoise fathers about 40% of the new population, which consists of over 2,000 tortoises. 

Diego may be deemed a womanizer or playboy tortoise, but he is also a savior to a near extinct species.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s how students’ absence affects local businesses during winter break (The Post)

A new OHIO Guarantee+ plan will help students look ahead in terms of tuition. (The Post)

Here’s a recap of the 2020 Oscar Nominations (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio men’s basketball travels to Buffalo for its fourth Mid-American Conference game. (The Post)

Here’s how Ohio women’s basketball had dealt with the new semester (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today is mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of rain. The high is 61 degrees and the low is 35 degrees, so make sure to pack some layers. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Senator Cory Booker has dropped out of the 2020 presidential election. (The New York Times)

People are using Google Maps to see photos of deceased loved ones. (Interesting Engineering)

After finishing his last round of chemotherapy, a 6-year-old boy got a surprise standing ovation from his classmates. (CNN)

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu