Finland to give fathers and mothers equal paid leave; Jesse McCartney to perform at the annual TBT concert

Today is Friday, Feb. 7, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Government-mandated paid paternity leave is often expected for new fathers—unless you’re in the U.S. 

This week, Finland announced that paid paternity leave will be extended to nearly seven months, equating the time between the designated periods that mothers and fathers get. 

The move comes after the formerly center-right Finnish government discarded the potential parental leave reform in 2018. The move was seen as too extreme and costly to pursue. In December 2019, the five party coalition in Finland entered office and put achieving gender equality at the front of their goals.

The U.S. has been criticized for its lack of government-mandated paid leave for new parents, including maternity and paternity leave. Finland is hoping the move will not only promote gender equality, but improve the recently declining birth rate within the country. While the country only has a population of around 5.5 million, countries that began using a similar policy had seen an increase in birth rates with paid paternity leave.

“Equality isn’t something that is only a women’s issue, it is also an issue for men,” Finland’s Prime Minister Sanna Marin said at the 50th annual World Economic Forum

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Jesse McCartney will perform at Ohio University for the annual TBT concert. (The Post)

The J Bar has been sued for allegedly overserving alcoholic beverages to a hit-and-run driver. (The Post)

An OU wrestler has pleaded not guilty to 15 charges, including criminal damaging and resisting arrest. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio women’s basketball will take on Kent State on Saturday. (The Post)

Ohio wrestling will go up against both Northern Illinois and South Dakota State this weekend. (The Post)

Ohio hockey will host Stony Brook this weekend. (The Post)

Podcasts from The Post:

Hosts Bre Offenberger and Riley Runnells sit down with guests Molly Schramm and Chloe Meyers to discuss the major categories, snubs and predictions for the 92nd Academy Awards. (The Post)

Ohio University students Rachel Calvis and Jacob Kennedy hit the ground running with their very first episode of their podcast “2 For U.” (The Post)

Host Cal Gunderson recounts the story of the time he asked out his TA. (The Post)

Athens Weather:

Bundle up, folks! The high will be 33 degrees with an 80% chance of morning snow showers. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Tesla remotely disabled features on a used Model S after it was sold via third party sellers. (The Verge)

Tom Perez, the Democratic National Committee chairman, has called for recanvass of the Iowa Caucus results (The New York Times)

A “ghost ship” has been found in the Bermuda Triangle 95 years after vanishing. (HuffPost)

@HiltnerJack

jh396418@ohio.edu

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director