Ohio University class gateway in Athens, Ohio. 

Investigations are almost complete for suspended Greek Life and student organizations

Almost all Greek life and student organizations that were suspended at the beginning of the academic year have been investigated by Ohio University.

The university suspended all Interfraternity Council organizations on Oct. 3, 2019. In the following weeks, three sororities, two business fraternities, the club rugby team and the Marching 110 were also suspended due to hazing allegations. 

The investigations were managed by four full-time staffs. Each organization with charges against them were expected to have a formal hearing in January or February, according to a previous Post report

Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, Sigma Chi Fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity and the Marching 110 are still currently under conduct review. 

The university has since updated the website with the results of the investigations. 

ACACIA 

The fraternity was found responsible for providing false or misleading information. Their violation was for furnishing false information to university officials or law enforcement officers acting within the scope of their job duties, according to the student code of conduct . 

Further violation of the Student Code of Conduct will result in further disciplinary action, which can include disciplinary suspension or expulsion. The group may also be required for periodic probationary meetings. All assigned conditions of the sanction must be completed prior to the conclusion of the probation or it will remain in effect. 

ACACIA was placed on disciplinary probation on Dec. 3, 2019. The probation will end Dec. 3, 2021.

Alpha Epsilon Pi

Alpha Epsilon Pi was placed on disciplinary probation on Dec. 9, 2019 for disruptive conduct and failure to comply with lawful orders of university officials or law enforcement officers. 

The fraternity can face further disciplinary action if found to violate the Student Code of Conduct again. The fraternity also must complete the sanctions prior to the conclusion of the probation or it will remain in effect. 

Alpha Epsilon Pi’s disciplinary probation will end Oct. 2, 2021.

Beta Theta Pi

The fraternity was placed under disciplinary probation from April 5, 2018 to Dec. 14, 2019. Beta Theta Pi sold, distributed or furnished alcoholic beverages against the law and university policy, which includes providing alcohol to someone who is underage. The alcohol provided also caused noticeable intoxication, according to the Student Code of Conduct.

Beta Theta Pi is and has been under review since Oct. 7, 2019 for the most recent allegations against the fraternity. 

Delta Tau Delta

The fraternity was given a reprimand after being found responsible for hazing in violation of University Policy 23.010 for coerced activities, which includes but not limited to violation of local, state or federal laws, violation of university policies, rules, or regulations, and personal servitude.

Reprimands have no end date and are an official notice of unacceptable behavior and violations of the code of conduct. Any further misconduct may result in more serious disciplinary sanctions. 

Lambda Chi Alpha

The fraternity was placed on disciplinary probation on Nov. 25, 2019.

Lambda Chi Alpha failed to comply with lawful orders of university officials or law enforcement officers. Any other violations of the Student Code of Conduct could result in further disciplinary actions, such as suspension or expulsion from the university.

The probation will end Nov. 25, 2021.

Pi Kappa Phi

Pi Kappa Phi was placed on disciplinary probation after being found in violation of three parts of the Student Code of Conduct.

The fraternity sold, distributed or furnished alcoholic beverages against university policy and the law. The group was also found responsible for hazing, including coerced consumption and coerced activities.

Coerced consumption includes any food, alcoholic beverage, liquid, drug or any other substance that subjects the student to an unreasonable risk of harm. Coerced activities include violation of local, state, or federal laws, and violation of university policies, rules, or regulations, and personal servitude.

Pi Kappa Phi is on disciplinary probation from Nov. 8, 2019 to Nov. 8, 2021.

Phi Kappa Psi

The fraternity was placed on disciplinary probation after being found responsible for hazing. 

The violations include recklessly or intentionally endangering the mental, emotional or physical health or safety of a student as well as coerced activities. 

Phi Kappa Psi will be on probation from Jan. 21 until Jan. 17, 2022.

Sigma Chi

The fraternity was found responsible for six parts of the Student Code of Conduct under hazing and alcohol violations and was placed on disciplinary probation.

The hazing violations include endangerment, brutality, mental stress and coerced activities. There were also violations of selling and distributing alcoholic beverages and alcohol given to people under the legal drinking age of property used by the fraternity. 

The probation started Jan. 22 and will be in place until Jan. 22, 2024. Sigma Chi is still under review as of Feb. 3, 2020.

Theta Chi

Theta Chi received a reprimand for hazing through coerced activities on Oct. 29, 2019.

Alpha Kappa Psi

The business fraternity was found responsible for selling and distributing alcohol and for allowing alcohol in times when people are under the legal drinking age. 

Alpha Kappa Psi is placed on disciplinary probation from Dec. 3 2019, to Dec. 3, 2020. 

Delta Sigma Pi

The business fraternity is still under conduct review as of Jan. 23, 2020.

Phi Chi Theta

Phi Chi Theta, a business fraternity, was found responsible for hazing under endangerment, coerced activities and mental stress.

The business fraternity is placed on disciplinary probation from Oct. 25, 2019 to Oct. 25, 2020.

Theta Tau

The engineering fraternity was found responsible for selling, furnishing and distributing alcohol as well as hazing causing mental stress.

Theta Tau is under disciplinary probation from Dec. 12, 2019 to Dec. 12, 2021.

The Marching 110

The Marching 110 is still under conduct review as of Oct. 10, 2019.

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu