Existential Binge-Watching: We still and will always need ‘Sex Education’

Yes, I’ve written about Sex Education before. But if any television series deserves to be written about twice, it’s this one. The Netflix series came back louder, larger and with a lot left to say for its sophomore season.

Back at Moordale High, the British comedy-drama hit the ground running with all the beloved characters from season one. And, thankfully, it’s all still set to the backdrop of a soundtrack that gives Guardians of the Galaxy a run for its money. Ezra Furman, featured prominently in music and a cameo in season one, is still going strong in season two and even released an album to accompany the show.

Meanwhile, the plot, while still keeping its raunchy reputation, has taken the topics and issues covered in season one and doubled down on them and new ones alike. Relationships, family dynamics, stress and school pressures, sexualities, everything plaguing young adults or anything about sex — it’s are all there. It’s all in your face in a way that is all too needed in a world that tries to be open.

Not to mention, Sex Education is certainly living up to its name when it comes to the characters involved in all of the plot threads. The core group remains and is expanded on, but new characters are also introduced as well, covering those who are asexual, bisexual and pansexual. Representation is a pillar of this series, and it wants to educate viewers on it all. From sex to any other topic an adult or young adult may face, Sex Education doesn’t shy away from anything and clearly wants viewers to know no one is alone.

Of course, the characters cannot be discussed without the cast. Those involved on screen for the show are one of the most fun, lovable casts to ever hit TV or movie screens. From the interviews to the extras uploaded on YouTube, it’s clear they care about what they’re a part of. They’re in it for so much more than just the acting or the money or even the entertainment value, and the commitment shows in every scene of the series.

The show is a fantastic show not only for its technical brilliance and amazing plot lines and cast. It’s a fantastic show because it has a stake in reality and a clear goal to normalize acceptance and open discussion about topics that are so often misconstrued as taboo or awkward. The best part is it’s conveyed in a neatly wrapped gem of a TV series that will make you laugh as much as it will make you cry, as it hits that perfect medium between shows like Big Mouth and Euphoria.

Sure, the ending to season two may have angered some at a certain character for doing something to prevent the relationship of a certain other couple of characters.

But all that means is there’s a lot left to come from this explicit, yet oh-so-needed masterpiece. Plus, it’s officially been renewed for season three, so if you haven’t invested in this Netflix original yet, it’s not going anywhere any time soon, which gives anyone the perfect opportunity to get some Sex Education in while they binge-watch.

Jackson Horvat is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.