5 self-care activities for your quarantine glow-up

It’s time to social distance yourself into some self-care. For many people, the recent stay-at-home order is the perfect excuse to spend days on the couch and slip into a deep Netflix binge. While a little lazy relaxation can be therapeutic, there comes a time where it’s time to snap out of the daze and give yourself some much-needed love. 

With few responsibilities to attend to, there’s never been a more perfect time for a spring glow-up. Simple self-care tasks each day will add up in the end, and hopefully curtail the level of boredom while staying home. Here are five self-care activities you can do right now to soothe your mind, body and soul:

Homemade face mask

We all love a good face mask, but most can come at a steep price. Luckily, you can give your skin a refresher with many of the items you probably already have on hand. Not only will you save money, but you’ll also know all the ingredients involved and that everything you’re putting on your skin is clean and natural.

If your skin is still trying to recover from the harsh winter weather, be sure to include avocado to hydrate dry skin. Looking to get some extra glow? Baking soda and honey are your homemade exfoliator duo made in heaven. Check out these at home-made face masks for some more inspiration. While times might be stressful at the moment, you can easily unwind by taking 15-20 minutes to give your skin some extra love.  

Journal

Journaling is one of the most effective ways to help keep track of your well-being. Mostly tailored for the mind, the act of writing is the perfect escape from reality and a great way to focus on yourself. Journaling is not only a good pastime, but a great way to document feelings and experiences for yourself to reflect upon and learn from in the future.

Not only do the pages of a journal serve as a great place to clear your mind, but also a place to practice gratitude. It may be easy to slip into negative thoughts when there is little to do, but making a list of all the things you are grateful for will surely put things into perspective. You can also practice journaling by writing down your goals, dreams and visions you have for the future. 

Social media detox

Do you ever wonder what life would be without social media? Unplug from hours of relentless scrolling, and take some time away from Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter. It’s easy to play into the social comparison cycle as many people end up comparing their lives to the people they follow. The problem comes along when the cycle results in overall lower self-esteem and well-being. Take a mental breather by stepping away to reconnect with the real world and all the amazing things in your life.

If you’re feeling anxious or stressed, it’s time to detox your social media life to improve your overall mood. In the meantime, you’ll gain much more free time and make room for more productivity and opportunities.

Yoga and meditation

Itching to get some form of movement in? The gyms may be closed, but luckily you can get your blood moving in the comfort of your own home. An effective way to manage stress and improve your overall mood is to practice yoga on a regular basis. Yoga is one of the most effective self-care tools that will benefit your brain, heart, bones and overall confidence levels. The act can be seen as giving a visit to yourself and giving your inner being a hug. 

If you're new to yoga, YouTube has plenty of instructional videos to follow and learn from. If you have some familiarity, find at least 15 to 20 minutes out of each day to practice and soothe your mind.

Upcycle your closet 

Self-care doesn’t always mean spending money on retail therapy to temporarily reduce stress. Instead, why not go shopping in your own closet? Quarantine life is all about filling time and upcycling your clothes will surely be a productive pastime. Upcycling clothes is a great way to spruce up old clothes into something completely new. If you haven’t already, make sure to clean out your closet and find staple pieces that have one more life left in them. 

With just a pair of scissors, old and worn out T-shirts can easily be made in halter tops, crop tops or even two-piece sets. Baggy sweatshirts can be tie-dyed into something new, exciting and more colorful. Jeans can be acid washed with just a careful touch of bleach. Not only will you be saving money, but saving the planet in the long run by not participating in over-priced fast fashion.

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu