Sam and Dean’s destiny is revealed during Monday’s episode of ‘Supernatural.’ (Photo provided via @SPN_France on Twitter)

TV Review: According to Billie, Sam and Dean are important in reaping God

The last episode of Supernatural seems like a lifetime ago. Per Garth’s (DJ Qualls) advice, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) hustle pool to win back their good luck. During the latest episode, Sam, Dean and Jack (Alexander Calvert) adventure into the Bad Place to rescue Kaia (Yadira Guevara-Prip), who's been trapped there all along. Here’s a recap of the episode if you couldn’t watch: 

Chuck starts killing alternate worlds

The episode opens up on Earth 2 where Hillary Clinton is president. Chuck (Rob Benedict) delivers a monologue inside a Radio Shed in front of multiple televisions. In the monologue, Chuck says that he made other alternate worlds with “different combinations, scenarios, characters, different versions of the same characters. You know, my other toys.” 

Chuck is frustrated despite his attempts to create different versions of Sam and Dean. “The real Sam and Dean. They challenge me. They disappoint me. They surprise me. They’re the ones,” says Chuck. “It’s time to clear the board. All the other worlds, alternate realities, subplots, failed spinoffs. It’s time to start canceling shows.” 

At the end of the episode, Chuck tells the Radio Shed worker that “it’ll all be OK,” and when he calls it a day on Earth 2, a meteor catapults down the store. He’s been ending worlds for weeks, and now Earth 2 is kaput. 

Dark Kaia, Sam and Dean rescue Kaia

In the bunk, Dean gets a call from Jody Mills (Kim Rhodes) because Dark Kaia (Yadira Guevara-Prip) trapped her in a barn in Sioux Falls. When the boys arrive, Dark Kaia explains that they promised to get her back to the Bad Place. Now, the Bad Place is dying, and the real Kaia is alive and has been in there all along. 

Back at the bunker, the team devises a plan to rescue Kaia. Jack is off the table because Billie (Lisa Berry) gave him strict orders not to use his powers or Chuck will find him. But when Jack talks to Dark Kaia, his emotions and guilt get the best of him, and he uses his powers to see where Kaia is in the Bad Place. Determined, he tells Sam and Dean that he’s helping come hell or high water. 

The only problem is his reaper guardian, Merle (Sandra Ferens), thinks that Jack is “Winchester dumb.” After some convincing, Merle thinks she can boost the bunker’s warding, which would keep Chuck from sensing Jack long enough for him to open a rift to the Bad Place. It works and off Dark Kaia, Sam and Dean go. 

Dark Kaia leads the brothers to where Kaia is, and they take her home. Dark Kaia decides to stick around in the Bad Place, accepting her fate, saying she doesn’t belong in Sam and Dean’s world. 

When Kaia returns back to the bunker, she leaves with Jody. 

Billie reveals Sam and Dean’s destiny

Billie kills Merle because she was not doing her job of keeping Jack safe. Billie also informs the team that all of Chuck’s worlds are dying except Earth. When Billie became Death, she inherited Death’s knowledge, including a library. 

Everyone has a book, even God, meaning that Death will reap God. There’s even a flashback of Death (Julian Richings) in season five. God didn’t write the books; they write themselves, and no one can read their book unless Billie lets them. Billie says that Jack, Sam and Dean are in God’s book, which is why she told Dean that he had work to do back in season 13

“Since I got this new job, I stand witness to a much larger picture. Do you know what I see? You. And your brother. You’re important. You have work to do,” Billie said in season 13. “That’s all you need to know. And trust me, having my eyes opened to the necessities of any human, especially Winchesters, is not a thrill. So … you wanna die, but I say … keep living.” 

That episode makes even more sense with the context of this week’s episode, and audiences can feel the season starting to build tension. There are only eight more episodes left in the season; however, it was announced that the show stopped filming due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Supernatural airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu