Existential Binge-Watching: Two Netflix graphic novel adaptations for quarantine

It seems like in the blink of an eye the world changed in ways we never thought it would. As coronavirus continues to spread in areas of the world, daily life is shutting down and more and more people are being ordered to stay at home for the safety of the general population. This shut down, of course, also includes universities, leaving many college students stuck with the stressful reality of online school while a global pandemic constantly goes on in the background.

As odd as it may seem, this new quarantined life we’re all being thrust into all but requires everyone to do a little binge-watching. Sure, this is also a time to focus on some self-health, figuring out schedules, and finishing out semesters strong, even if the circumstances are unconventional. But, breaks are essential for a little relaxation and some much-needed mental health time.

Two shows on Netflix currently provide the perfect, short-form binge many college students, and even those working from home, may need. Based on graphic novels by Charles Forsman, The End of the F***ing World and I Am Not Okay with This can serve as the perfect solution to get an anxiety filled mind focused on something else for a half an hour or so.

The End of the F***ing World, which first started in 2017, released a second season in November of last year. After the cliffhanger of an ending to season one, the show came back stronger than ever and delivered a truly amazing sequel season. The series follows James and Alyssa, and their relationship as it evolves after the two run away from home and get mixed up in a series of violent events. The first season focuses on their initial mishap of a journey away from home, the second delves into the aftermath a couple years later.

I Am Not Okay with This, with the director from The End of the F***ing World and the producers of Stranger Things, follows Sydney, a girl dealing with family, high school and her sexuality while also navigating the discovery of having superpowers. The show also reunites It-alum Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff, so really, what else could you ask the series to have going for it?

Both shows have this very distinct mix of dry humor and wit mixed with some very dark drama, that ends up being this incredibly unique concoction of thought-provoking heart and laughs. Not to mention, the actors involved in both series are absolutely top-notch and everyone gives it their all from start to finish. The characters are hard not to fall in love with, giving quirky deliveries that resonate well in humorous and profound ways.

The storylines and basic plots of each show are also what set the series apart from other shows. While based on average, everyday settings and situations that people can relate to, there’s also these either twisted or fantastical undertones to serve as vehicles for real-life drama and emotions. Whether it’s Sydney learning about her telekinetic powers, or James trying to figure out if he really is indeed a psychopath, there’s a lot to unpack. Justice was given to the source material while also building two shows that are very distinctly their own entities.

Plus, the under 30 minute, and sometimes even under 20 minute, run-time of each episode of the series provide for a fantastic break binge-watch. These are pretty weird and frightening times the world is going through, without adding the confusion of online work and school into the equation. So, it’s important to keep a level head by not burying ourselves in boredom or unreasonable amounts of work that will only worsen stir crazy minds.

The End of the F***ing World and I Am Not Okay with This provide entertainment worthy of being added to the quarantined binge list. They can easily serve as a breather at the end of the night before bed, or even in between doing school assignments. Whether you need a laugh, a cry or some odd mix stuck in between, these are series to hold us over in these chaotic and quarantined times.

Jackson Horvat is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.