Existential Binge-Watching: 5 blind binge recommendations on Netflix

I’ve never actually browsed through Netflix for a TV show. Searching for a movie to throw on is one thing, but usually, I’ve had my sights set on something when I’ve booted up Netflix to binge-watch a series in the past. Lately, though, with the quarantine running my list of shows to watch dry, I’ve started to let my eyes wander toward the recommendations showcased on the streaming platform.

A couple are fairly popular, and I’ve just never gotten around to watching them. Others, I’m a little scared of myself for considering. Five in particular have caught my attention, whether through social media or just the platform itself. And I guess now more than ever is the time to give them all a try.

Love is Blind

A dating reality TV show where the contestants go on literal blind dates on which they can’t see one another, but eventually choose who they wish to propose to. I’ve actually seen a little bit of this after my sister, and I decided to start watching it as a joke. Now, we’re hooked and committed to see it through until the end. If you’re into shows like The Bachelor, I imagine this is one to check out for sure.

Stranger Things

I did start this series when it came out way back in 2016. However, I never continued it and have forgotten basically everything about it as it grew to be a cultural phenomenon. Whether it’s a mix of constantly seeing it on Netflix or social media or hearing about it from literally everyone, there seemed to really be no choice but to add it to the desperate quarantined binge list. It’s also one to help stray away from the path of shows like Love is Blind.

You

I’m almost equally afraid to admit that I haven’t seen this series as much as I was for Stranger Things. I’ve seen it, heard about it, just never gotten around to it. From my impression, it has a lot of drama, murder and very noticeable yet creepy stalking. Which sounds like a formula for success to me.

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness

I have absolutely no idea what this series is about. All I know is that in what felt like the blink of an eye, the entire world has seen it. But whenever I see it being talked about online, all I can gather is that it’s a documentary series — maybe — about a really weird guy who owned a lot of tigers. Also, everyone’s a liar, and there’s a lady everyone’s saying killed her husband and fed to the tigers. If not only for the need to have answers to the mystery surrounding this show, it seems like a must watch.

Don’t F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer

Maybe I’m just continuing on with the cat theme, but this is another documentary series about the internet coming together to take down a guy who killed a cat in a video posted online. It’s also only three episodes, so it’s definitely not a long-term binge, but maybe one to take up a couple days worth of break time. Who knows, I might even come out of it with a better respect for cats.

If you’ve seen all of these already or like me, haven’t given any a chance yet, still be sure to browse through Netflix a little more than usual. Find that weird, obscure show, and binge it if only to get your mind onto something else and strange for a little while. Netflix might have a bit too much to see it all, but people can certainly give it their best shot in these isolated times.

Jackson Horvat is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Jackson by tweeting him at @horvatjackson.