The exterior of O'Betty's Red Hot, 15 W. State St.

7 places in Athens to get your chili dog fix

National Chili Dog Day is July 30. The chili dog, which is a hot dog in a bun topped with chili, cheese and toppings, like onions or mustard, is the best kind of drunk food. The most talked about chili dog in southern Ohio is Skyline Chili’s cheese coney. 

For you Skyline lovers who don’t have their fixing in Athens, there are a few options on and off campus to enjoy the national holiday. Here are the places in Athens you can grab a chili dog or chili-related food:

Larry’s Dawg House, 410 W. Union St, is open for carry-out right now. The local joint has both footlong cheese dogs and regular cheese dogs. 

An Athens favorite, O’Betty’s Red Hot is on 15 W. State St. Currently open at the takeout window, O’Betty’s is known for its hot dogs. The Dixie is an all-beef hot dog with homemade O’Betty’s Chili sauce, onions, aged cheddar cheese and stadium mustard, all in a steamed and toasted bun. 

The Pigskin Bar and Grill, 38 N. Court St., re-opened, so make sure to stop in (with your mask) and enjoy its half-pound foot long chili cheese dog, which is made with house-made beef chili and beer cheese sauce.

Shade, on 994 E. State St., is open for dine-in but is asking customers to wear a mask until seated. When you order, make sure to get their chili dogs, which consists of two Nathan’s Famous beef hot dogs topped with mustard, chili, cheddar cheese and onions. 

Union Street Diner, 70 W. Union St., is in on the chili dog business, too, but is closed until early August. When the diner opens, order the chili cheese dogs, which have two all-American hot dogs covered with homemade chili and shredded cheddar cheese. 

On 39 N. Court St., The Pub has temporarily closed for the foreseeable future. When the bar opens, order the quarter pound chili dog, which is smothered with cheese, onions, mustard and homemade chili. 

Big Mamma’s Burritos, located at 10 S. Court St., has oodles of burritos on their menu. Although not a chili dog, the Chili Mama is sort of a chili dog. In fact, it’s one of the few places on campus that has Skyline available for its Cincinnati students. The burrito includes Skyline Chili, rice, hot sauce, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and onions. 

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu