Illustration by Olivia Juenger.

5 ways to combat school anxiety

Traditionally, fresh school year anxieties fuel endless questions. This year, the same challenges of getting to know professors, finding friends and learning material still exist, but now those struggles are compounded by the new online setting. If you’re worrying about this fall, how to maintain productivity, cope emotionally and especially, have concerns about online classes — I’ve got you covered.

Below are tips to help maintain sanity during this challenging, unique Fall Semester:

Review all of your fall options

One of the leading causes of stress is uncertainty. This can come from a lack of clarity over plans, the state of the world or endless other variables, thus it is crucial to review one’s education options for this approaching strange semester. 

Our current situation is an unprecedented moment in history, so no single person knows what will happen next. To ease some anxiety, vocalize concerns about finances, safety of campus and other issues to advisers, friends and faculty members. It’s key to not bottle up questions. Often, you will discover that others share your concerns as well. Also, as the world experiences crises, understand that the four-year plan you had as a past or present freshman may not pan out as planned, but that’s okay! 

Sometimes, taking the time to re-evaluate your options may reveal paths that you weren’t aware of. 

Establish a routine

Even though most are quarantining, it’s still easy to lose track of one’s self. The endless time spent at home can destroy important habits like healthy eating, exercising and sleeping schedules. A straightforward way to gain a sense of control is to establish a healthy routine. 

A routine could be as simple as waking up at a certain time each day to setting a distinctive time to eat. It could also mean setting aside time to relax or read. The ability to have set structures over important key tasks can help with decision fatigue so your mind can focus on more important issues and tackle personal ambitions.

Having a schedule will be doubly important for online classes. Not all classes will meet at specific times, so make sure to replicate a work schedule as much as possible. The rigidity may suck at times, but not worrying about when to do something will make it easier to focus on what to do.

Double down on essentials

It’s unclear when it will be safe to return to campus, but whenever that time comes — be prepared. Don’t leave masks, hand sanitizer, tissues, cleaning supplies, snacks and other essential supplies up to chance. Be mindful of Athens’s size, there’s no guarantee that supplies will always be in stock when you need them. 

Whether at home or on campus, this also includes comfort essentials. Make sure your room feels comfortable, stylish and unique. An excellent environment is the first step to excellent achievements. 

Adjust expectations 

Going into the semester, know that big organizations like Greek Life, sports and classes won’t go forward as normally planned. Don’t fall into despair. Keep an adaptable, positive mindset and be ready to adjust expectations accordingly.

Understand that enormous lecture halls — if they resume — will hold their own unique level of stress. Wear a mask and stay home if you’re feeling sick — your professor will be understanding. Remember, your life is more important than your GPA.

Pick up a hobby

No matter what happens this fall, we will have more time on our hands than ever before. To remedy boredom, pick up a hobby! It’s proven that having hobbies increases productivity levels. Hobbies are an effective way to pick up extra skills and to do things that classes wouldn’t normally call for, like producing beats or knitting.

If you can, get someone to pick up the same hobby as you. These shared activities can help close some distance from not being able to hang out with friends in person.

In conclusion, be ready for a topsy-turvy Fall Semester. That seems easier in theory than practice, but understanding your education options, establishing routines, doubling down on essentials, adjusting expectations and picking up hobbies are excellent ways to help cope with stress. 

@adondonf

af414219@ohio.edu