NASA projects an asteroid heading toward Earth just before Election Day; trends are declining in Athens County with only 7 new reported cases of COVID-19

Today is Monday, Aug. 24, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

As if 2020 couldn’t possibly get any better, an astral object known as 2018VP1 is projected to come close to Earth just before the Presidential election date on Nov. 2. The asteroid was first identified in 2018 at the Palomar Observatory in California and has a chance of three potential impacts, according to NASA’s data.

However, due to its small size and projected 0.41% chance of hitting Earth, the object would disintegrate if it were to enter our planet’s atmosphere. 

“Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approximately 6.5 feet, and poses no threat to Earth,” NASA claimed in a statement.

To be considered a potentially hazardous object, an asteroid or comet would have to orbit close to Earth and have a size large enough to cause “significant regional damage if they were to hit the planet.” According to NASA, asteroid 2018VP1 should not pose a threat. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Trends are continuing to decline in Athens County with only seven new reported cases of COVID-19 since the early July peak. (The Post)

Ohio University Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones sent a letter to students in Greek Life and other organizations about COVID-19 complaints. (The Post)

Ohio University partnered with OhioHealth to launch a COVID-19 hotline. (The Post)

Athens Weather

No need for sunglasses. Today will be partly cloudy with a 20% of showers and a high of 87 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A wildfire in Northern California has grown to become the second-largest in state history -- scorching nearly one million acres. (NBC)

Glee star Lea Michele and husband Zandy Reich welcomed their first child. (People)

Thirteen people were killed trying to escape police officers who raided a nightclub in Peru that was violating COVID-19 restrictions. (BBC World)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu