PVRIS’ latest album, Use Me, was released on Aug. 29, 2020. (Photo provided by @ThisIsPVRIS on Twitter).

Album Review: The best 5 tracks from PVRIS’ ‘Use Me’

PVRIS, starting as a metalcore group and gradually transitioning to a softer sound, knows just as well as anyone what it’s like to change its direction and watch its fans try to adapt to it. Its third and latest LP, Use Me, is a stark contrast from the last two, but when you have frontwoman Lynn Gunn’s irreproachable vocals paired with electro-pop bliss, it’s an easy idea to get used to.

On Wednesday, two days before the album release, PVRIS posted on Twitter that lead guitarist and keyboardist Alex Babinski would be axed from the band, effective immediately, following sexual misconduct allegations. It’s now a two-person show of Gunn and bassist and keyboardist Brian MacDonald, but nothing changes how Use Me, just like the remainder of the band’s discography, is entirely Gunn’s beautiful artistic vision.

Use Me is a near-perfect blend of somber lyricism, atmospheric synths and rare but worthwhile roaring guitars, with only a couple blips along the way. The fluttery opening guitar on “Hallucinations” is one of the most soothing entities to come out of 2020. The opener, “Gimme a Minute,” is the album’s only fluke, riddled with production problems, though its powerhouse of an ending makes up for it. The endearing message on “Stay Gold” is relatable, and Gunn’s enticing vocals are to die for. Album after album, sonic change after sonic change, PVRIS continues to prove it can do whatever it wants successfully.

Here are the best five tracks from Use Me:

5. “Good to Be Alive”

“Good to Be Alive,” despite its title, perfectly dissects the feeling of declining self-worth that inevitably comes with life’s chaos. Backed by minimal production consisting of lowly synths, soft drums and a subdued acoustic guitar — which actually works well here because the hard-hitting lyrics have more of an impact — Gunn feels out of place: “All my friends are doing fine while I’m looking for a sign / Is this body even mine? Feels good to be alive, but I hate my life.” This is a feeling that teenagers, who are figuring themselves out, know all too well.

4. “January Rain”

Look up “vibey” in the dictionary, and you’ll find the Spotify album link for “January Rain.” The programming is so tranquil that it makes one feel like everything’s going to be OK, even though Gunn is discussing how she’s not quite over her ex and may never be. Gentle keys juxtapose the pit in Gunn’s stomach as she reminisces and wishes it wasn’t over: “Always wished we had one more night, so I’d always think of you in a better light / I always knew you would leave me dry / Now I’m ready to say goodbye / My January rain, it never really goes away.”

3. “Death of Me”

“Death of Me” tackles unhealthy love and how, even though we know better, it’s too infectious to let go. You’ll find yourself nodding your hod to the beat, even though the lyrics are simply a lot: “This love looks like a loaded gun / A noose around my neck or a sweet poison / If it gets in the wrong hands, then we’re f-----.” The bass, eerie synths and drums that you can all feel right in your chest pair well with Gunn’s heavenly vocals and blunt lyricism of how she’s OK with going down because of her toxic partner: “Maybe I’m crazy; I know you’re danger / Baby, you could be the death of me.”

2. “Loveless”

“Loveless” is perfect music for when you just want to lie in your bed, stare at the ceiling and think. Behind a desolate acoustic guitar, keys and strings, Gunn reflects on a past love that she’s just realizing was destructive. The lyrics cut deep: “I gave you tears when you wanted emotion / Said it was love, so I cried an ocean for you / You’re probably fine now and not even hurtin’ / You’re free as a bird while I carry the burden for you.” Fans unquestionably yearn for the day when Gunn writes about the pure love she’s found, and she can put this song in the back of her mind.

1. “Old Wounds” 

Prepare to be transported to another dimension with “Old Wounds.” The lingering feelings of a past relationship are as prevalent as ever, and Gunn just wants to give in to them: “They say ‘don’t open old wounds,’ but you’re still brand new / And I’ve got nothing to lose besides you / I’ve already lost you once; what more could you do? / They say ‘don’t open old wounds,’ but I want to.” The roaring production matched with Gunn’s vocal tone in the chorus is reminiscent of PVRIS’ old discography, and no one’s complaining. The vocals in the outro are enough to save lives, and that alone makes this the best track on Use Me.

Rating: 4.5/5

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu